Can cat get ketones even with Low Sugar level?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sasha24, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Sasha24

Sasha24 Member

My cat ken is getting low numbers for almost a week ranging 48 - 60 mg/dl. I couldnt give him a shot as i am worried that it may get too low. Now, my concern can he still get ketones with low Sugar level?.

** Sorry couldnt update my spreadsheet, i was too busy this week.

2. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Ana & Frosty (GA) Well-Known Member

If he’s eating well and his sugars are under control, he shouldn’t have ketones. If he stops eating, then yes.

How is his appetite?

It’s always a good idea to check ketones at least once a week, especially if there’s a change in insulin requirements. But as I said, it’s unlikely for him to have ketones if he’s eating,

3. Sasha24

Sasha24 Member

He has good appetite and eating very well and playful. Thanks for this info. I can now have peace of mind.

Bronx's dad (GA) likes this.
  4. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Here is the info page on DKA and ketones

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...oacidosis-dka-and-blood-ketone-meters.135952/

"The basic recipe for DKA = an insufficient supply of insulin + inappetance + infection OR other systemic stresses".

There can be ketones at lower BG levels, BG doesn't have to be high to develop them. I like to use a keto-diastix to test urine every week or so, just to keep an eye on things.

ETA: I couldn't see what meter (pet or human) you are using, but if those numbers are typical and there aren't any higher readings, you are in a range where you shouldn't be giving insulin, Ken is doing fine on his own without.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    Sasha24 likes this.
  5. Sasha24

Sasha24 Member

That made me nervous. I need to buy this strips to check. He has his low bg level for 1 week and i am hoping that he will be in OTJ soon. He ate normally i gave him some dry food if his bg is around 48 but th level is still normal afterwards. I smell his mouth, no fruit or nail polish smell.

6. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you nervous. It was more just to share the general info on ketones, etc. Some people have seen low levels of ketones when their cat's BG is in the 200s. But when I went back and saw that you are seeing excellent numbers, it seems that you really don't need to be worried, and moreso I'd be cautious of giving insulin, at those levels, there isn't a need, as I said, if those are consistent patterns, his body is regulating things all on his own. When was the last time you gave insulin?

If it hasn't been for a week and you are still seeing 48-60, don't feed dry food, he doesn't need it.

7. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

He can have ketones and normal numbers and still be eating. However, it would be unlikely for him to have DKA if he’s eating.

I always checked ketones every week if Gracie was in normal numbers. I checked daily if she was in higher numbers.

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  8. Sasha24

Sasha24 Member

The last insulin dose was last Wednesday August 22, 2018 evening, i gave 1 unit when he had 81 mg/dl. After that day, his BG started to regulate within the range 46 - 82 mg/dl. Its been a week. I am hoping that he can continuously maintain good bg level.

9. Sasha24

Sasha24 Member

His eating very well and always seem to be hungry.

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  10. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hi Marjane! And welcome to L, B & L .

My boy threw ketones while in the 200's. He was eating and didn't seem sick otherwise. And one of the moderators here said one of the worst cases of ketones she remembers was with a cat in the 100 range. So, it can happen that they can develop ketones in lower numbers.

Has Ken ever had DKA? If so, it might be a good thing to add to you signature as a cat with a recent past with DKA will be dealt with differently as far a skipping shots.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  11. Sasha24

Sasha24 Member

Ken was not diagnosed with DKA. When he was diagnosed with diabetes the doctor only said that ken's urine was okay. But it was just came out of my mind since ken bg level is doing great.

12. Ana & Frosty (GA)

It sounds like he’s entering remission. Keep testing and check the OTJ guidelines - I think after 2 weeks of normal numbers off insulin he will be considered OTJ.

13. Bobbie And Bubba

Could you add the numbers since 8/17 on the SS. That will be helpful if there are any questions about any further dosing.

14. Sasha24

Sasha24 Member

Hi Bobbie, you may now check Ken's updated SS. please let me know if you have any further advise. thank you :)

15. Sasha24

Sasha24 Member

Guys tonight i checked ken's bg and range is still 52 mg/dl. This is normal right?.

Squeaky and KT (GA) likes this.
  16. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Yes, it is. :)

17. Sasha24

Sasha24 Member

Whew thank you! After worrying of ketones, now my mind is thinking that he might be experiencing hypo. Its really good to hear confirmation from everyone out here.

18. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

No insulin shot = no hypo. :)

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  19. Sasha24

Sasha24 Member

Oh got it! Another sign of relief! Thank you kris!

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  20. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Yeah, it looks like your kitty is entering remission and it’s been about a week. If another week goes by with good sugars, he will be considered in remission. Fingers crossed!! Keep us posted

21. Bobbie And Bubba

Go Sasha, Go!! This is just remarkable of how fast she is going Off the Juice!

Ana & Frosty (GA) likes this.