Can dental issues cause a rise in BG in diet-controlled cat?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by evakot, Sep 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evakot

evakot Member

Hi All,

I have a 9 y.o. male kitty, who was diagnosed in January, but went into remission after 2 insulin shots and a switch to wet only, low-carb food. He was in remission for 8 months, and I was the happiest momma in the world.

He is now relapsing :cry: and his numbers are in the high 200-to 390 range for the last few days. Another member suggested to get his teeth checked. I wanted to ask- what is the relationship between dental problems and blood sugar? Could a relapse be caused by bad teeth?

Thank you,

Eva & Big Kitty

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yep, any kind of infection can cause a diet controlled diabetic to have higher bg's.
    urinary track, teeth, I can't tell you exactly why...smarter folks here may well know this but I am positive that the answer to your question is yes.

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Often dental issues involve in inflammation (i.e., gingivitis), pain from resorbtions, or an infection from a bad tooth. Any of these issues can cause a rise in BG.

4. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

short answer is YES - ABSOLUTELY YES

5. evakot

evakot Member

Thank you for your answers! I will definetly double check with the vet. She marked on my cat's assessment form that he has inflammed gums, but she didn't say anything about that to me- I only noticed it when I got home.

Thanks again,

Eva

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.