Can I do this? Is this fair to her?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Taters and Kasey, Jul 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taters and Kasey

Taters and Kasey New Member

So I realized I never really introduced myself. I just went and jumped into the deep end of the pool without my water wings. So without further ado I'm Kasey but more importantly:
    My Taters has diabetes.... we are trying to rein it in and boy is it a beast! I feel like I'm failing her. Especially because I had the wrong needles and first and almost overdosed her TWICE before the vet caught it and said "Whoa! No no no..." She is so pissed off all the time. She's skinny but has a pot belly. Let me give yall some info on Taters as I have it written in her note book of which I call her "Manual of a Grumpy Sugar Cat"
    Name: Kaida "Taters" Mae Towles
    DOB: May 15 2013
    Weight as of July 1 2017: 7.96 lbs / 3.61 kgs
    Diagnosed with diabetes: May 26 2017
    On wet food diet: less than 10% carbs. extra water added. Mostly Friskies and one flavor of nine lives. I went to Catinfo.org and looked at the food comparison sheet. I went with a brand I already knew she liked and picked out some with carb % under 6.
    Blood testing: in the am around 7-8:30 am.
    Noon about 12:40 -12:50
    5:30ish of the evening
    Night 8-9 pm
    Insulin: Lantus Solostar injector pen 100-u 3mL pre-filled pen - Draw 1-u bid (2 times a day) 7-8am and 8-9pm
    Needles:ReliOn 3/10mL 31g 8mm/ 5/16" (short)
    Meter: AlphaTrak2

I don't know how to feel. Am I wrong for trying to keep her alive? I just recently lost my other kitty to old age, I can't lose her too! And I wrong to put her through the constant poking and prodding and examining (she gets open sores easily). She hates being picked up..always has. She is NOT a cuddly kitty. My very own grumpy cat. As such she hates the glucose checks no matter which ear or paw pad I use, auto injector or using the Lancet by hand.... She still hates HATES shots even though I have the tiny needles and am tenting the scruff as I have seen on so many YouTube videos about caring for a cat with diabetes.... I feel lost, hopeless, and drowning. My cat is pissed off at the world and worst of all pissed off at me....

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  2. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome Kasey and Taters!
    You are absolutely NOT wrong for keeping her alive! Diabetes is a manageable/treatable condition, not a death sentence :bighug::bighug::bighug:. I'll post more on your Main Health post :)

3. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB Kasey and Taters!

First of all Kasey, take a deep breathe! And another! Diabetes can be frustrating at times but you are still very new to this journey and so is Taters. In a short time, you and Taters will be feeling much better about things.

Some cats take a little longer than others to get into the routine for testing (kudos for testing BTW!) and shots but most eventually come around. We can help you with some tips and tricks to speed up the process.

NO you are not wrong for trying to keep her alive because diabetes is a treatable condition but it does take a bit of patience and committment to get kitty regulated.

I see you have posted over in Health, so I will address some of your questions over there. I am going to provide a link to this post so folks responding have benefit of all the wonderful details you have provided here.

Another deep breathe now!:)

Taters and Kasey likes this.
  4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

You are totally doing right by her by treating the diabetes. Unlike other animals and people, cats have the possibility of healing their pancreas and going into remission. Others dont go into remission but get regulated and live very long healthy lives. We can help. :)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  5. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

I also had the same thoughts as to whether this was fair or not. My Tuxie kitty passed just over 7 weeks ago (16 1/2 years) ...he had MANY more problems besides the diabetes...in the end there was a suspicion of cancer, but he got too sick to follow that route for diagnosis. What I look at is the fact that I gave a very sick kitty when first diagnosed 2 1/2 years more life...most of it with a good degree of quality. At the end it really was no longer a choice to continue fighting...my boy was tired and had no fight left. But up until that point he had a lot more time because I chose to treat the diabetes, that he would never have had if I had given up then. There have been so so many kitties on this forum that have achieved remission or good regulation with the help of the many experienced people here. Taters deserves the chance to try to get this disease under control or maybe in remission. Please read, educate yourself about FD and continue posting and asking every question you can think of.

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  6. Cherish Gallagher

Cherish Gallagher Member

You're doing the right thing. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.