Can insulin actually increase preshot numbers?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Melout311, Mar 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Melout311

Melout311 New Member

Hello Everyone!

I started my Sebastian (Bash) on insulin a week ago. We started with the vets recommended 2 units on the first day. After doing a curve that first day, he was too low to give him his PM shot. I continued to test over the next couple of days but his numbers we too close in range that I was afraid to give him any insulin. Once his amps number was at 189 I decided to give him a half unit. Ever since starting the .5 unit his pre-shot numbers keep getting higher. I know I do not have a lot of data yet, but does this seem normal? It seemed like his numbers were better and more stable when I wasnt giving him the .5 unit? Thanks for everone's help.

Melinda and Bash
    Prozinc
    18 yo
    8.5 lbs
    Fancy Feasts Classics

2. AbyResq

AbyResq Member

Yes, too much ProZinc can cause the preshot numbers to rise. The 73 at +2 last night has me wondering how low he went mid-cycle. You could try cutting back to .25 units. Did you recently switch to a low carb diet?

3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

If a cat's glucose level goes lower than they are accustomed to, their body can react, trying to compensate. As a result, it sends their level high. That's known as a bounce. If it happens, it can also throw things off for a few cycles until things level back out.

If it was my cat, I think I would drop to .25 this weekend and try to get some mid-cycle tests in. You can see on your curve day that the lowest point was at +6, so if you can, try to grab a mid-cycle test around that point at least. Maybe even set an alarm and do that on a few nights so you have a better idea how low he is going. It helps with bouncing if you can hold a consistent dose, so maybe the .25 would allow you to do that rather than having all the no-shots scattered in there.

Let's not ignore the fact that these are great numbers! I would love to have then. And, he has only been on insulin a week?! Maybe he is a candidate for remission. :)

4. Melout311

Melout311 New Member

Thanks for the advise! I was worried about the quick drop the other day too. I fed him a bit before I went to bed. I thought maybe my meter was not working properly. I have had blood read as control solution a few times. I am using a One Touch Verio, but today I went ahead got a Reli-on. Mostly for the strip cost. I want to stay with the .5 unit for a week in case his system is adjusting as you suggested. If it keeps going low too quickly I will change to .25.

I was surprised by his numbers when I started testing. I was expecting much higher. I really hope remission is possible. Or I at least hope the insulin will help my guy put some weight on. He is so thin, and does not eat very much. It is sometimes hard to get him to eat a quarter of a can of fancy feast before a shot. He likes to nibble as he pleases and it's tough to take food away when I want him to put a few pounds on. Which probably isn't helping regulate the numbers eithero_O

5. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

The two hours before your pre-shot glucose test is really the only time you have to 'take food away'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.