Can milk raise blood glucose?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by sharon and sparky, Nov 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sharon and sparky

sharon and sparky Member

If you give your cat regular 2% milk, can it raise the bg levels? I know milk has lactose which is a sugar, does anybody know for sure if it will? Thanks for your help.

2. This from the ASPCA "poison control center" oddly enough:
    The "inflammation to the pancreas" is what caught my eye.

And according to pets webmd cats can be lactose intolerant:
    Carl

3. sharon and sparky

sharon and sparky Member

Thanks Carl but the question of raising blood glucose levels I did not see answered. When you have an OTJ kitty can giving a teaspoon of milk in the morning raise the bg numbers. I am just trying to figure out why Sparky's numbers rose.

4. In humans, apparently the answer is "yes" because it contains lactose:

just thinking, but if a kitty is lactose intolerant, then maybe he can't digest it, and it wouldn't raise his BG? But if he isn't lactose intolerant, does that mean he can digest it, and then it would raise the BG?

Unfortunately, I can't find the same type of answer specific to cats.
    Carl

5. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

I'd say yes. I would assume it is the same as humans and it is one of the first things diabetics can reach for to bring up their BGs and try to sustain a longer hold on the higher numbers. In the hospital, milk is what the nurses kept bringing us to get into my mother when she was hypo and we were trying to keep her blood sugars up.

6. sharon and sparky

sharon and sparky Member

I know Sparky is not lactose intolerant and his numbers have gone up recently in conjunction with my giving him a little milk each morning when I am making my coffee. So I had to put him back on 1/2 unit of Lantus to get him back in line. I of course have stopped giving him milk. So I hope it is the milk that made his numbers go up. Thanks for the great information.

7. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.