Can someone check SS and advise?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by The Mum, Feb 13, 2020.

1. The Mum

The Mum Member

I am getting ready for Gracie's evening dose. Can someone check our SS and advise? I am uncomfortable changing her dose without vet direction. She physically is doing fine. Sleeps alot, but is perky and aware when awake. She wants to eat every 2-2.5 hours. Try to hold off for three hours to test.
    It has been noted on FB that this dose of Lantus is too high. Please advise.

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

She hasn’t dropped under 90 If following SLGS or under 68 if TR so I wouldn’t reduce. You only need to withhold food two hours before amps/pmps .

3. The Mum

The Mum Member

She is so "done" with this blood testing thing. People keep telling me (dare I say "badgering") to pre-test shot time. Clearly she was in the 400's at +7, I feed again prior to shooting. Is another blood test really necessary?

4. The Mum

The Mum Member

Can anyone chime in? i am befuddled.

5. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

Yes, it's ALWAYS advisable to test prior to giving insulin. The tests give good information like: is she going up or down; are her numbers safe enough to shoot; are her cycles showing a pattern.

Have you tried giving Gracie a treat before/after or during testing time? There's also polysporin ointment that has pain relief that you can put a little on her ears to help out.

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  6. Si am cat mom

Si am cat mom Well-Known Member

You should alway test before shooting insulin.....I personally don't like surprises and would hate to find out the hard way I shot full dose on a number I maybe shouldn't have, but that's just my opinion.

Why the +7 test ? If you are trying to limit your testing it wouldn't be the preshot or +4 test I'd cut out right now.

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  7. Si am cat mom

I agree- treats and more treats as mentioned above!
    I used to set up for testing, get ready to test and give a treat BUT not test.
    Just so my guy could get rewarded for going through the motions of testing

Judy and Freckles likes this.
  8. The Mum

The Mum Member

SS updated. Did pre-shot. 260. I treat with home cooked chicken bites after insulin. FF after tests.

9. The Mum

The Mum Member

Doing a curve.

10. Si am cat mom

Considering the +2 through +4 has been lower than the PMPS on the last few cycles, I'd try and grab a +2 and see where Gracie is headed tonight.

I'm not sure if those skipped shots on the 8th/9th will limit the curve data a bit since it's usually done after a full week on a dose but more information is always good!

11. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

Treats are good!! lol

I use freeze dried chicken crumbled up. While Freckles is busy eating that, I score a test. She doesn't really even notice the poke because she is focused on eating the treat.