can you reuse insulin needles?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by grace, Nov 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grace

grace New Member

My vet told me I can use one needle for 3-4 days, but it seems like everyone else
    says to use a new one for each shot. Thanks.

2. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

I use the same one for the morning and the evening shot, but no more than that, everyday is a fresh needle. (But I also use a triple bevelled animal insulin needle as oppose to the single bevel human ones). If you reuse them too much they lose the coating that makes them slip in and start to hurt. If you were to look at them under a microscope you would see that they start to get rough. And as cheap as syringes are there really isn't any real reason to use them for several days and hurt your kitty.

Mel, Maxwell, Musette & The Fur Gang

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

My thought is that it would contaminate the insulin....

4. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

This page has a picture of a new and used needle - you can see the damage to the tip that would make each additional shot more painful.
    http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Syringe

In addition to the risk of infection, you risk contaminating your expensive insulin, rendering it useless.

You can get syringes at Walmart for $12.58 per 100. That is much less expensive than the insulin.

5. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

We know that there is some level of contamination every time even a sterile needle enters a vial since the rubber stopper is not sterile but don't make matters worse by using a dirty needle.

Injecting contaminated medicine into any living being is not sound medical practice.

6. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

I reused a needle once in a pinch (ran out). But they are such a small expense in this sugar dance it doesn't make sense to risk contaminating the insulin or hurting your cat by reusing them. A box of 100 by Relion (walmart) for Lantus or Levemir (U100) is less than $13.

7. Christina Jonson

Christina Jonson New Member

Reusing needles can cause deadly skin infections in cats. So don't.

8. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I would never take the chance of reusing a needle.... Plus it's more painful for the cat. At about 12 cents a needle it's not worth the savings to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.