Canadian beans

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Pandasmom, Jun 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pandasmom

Pandasmom Member

Hey Canadian Folks,
    I just thought I'd mention that last week my vet recommended I get a Costco membership to get Odie's prescription because it was so much cheaper -- a 2 week supply of Cyclosporine at the vet was $91 and at Costco it was $33!!! All other prescriptions (Odie's and mine) that I've checked are considerably cheaper too (not quite that extreme).

But the other revelation was that they have a TrueTrack glucometer. Test strips are $43 for 100.
    I had been using the OneTouch Ultra (strips are $73 at Costco, up to $85 elsewhere). I asked how much the TrueTrack glucometer was and it was free with the purchase of strips! I switched. (We can't get the Walmart Relion one in Canada)
    Lantus is $95 for the 5-3ml vials.

I've been double testing each time I draw blood, to see the comparison. The TrueTrack is consistently lower than the OneTouch by between 0.1 and 1.5 (too tired to do the math for you US folks :) )... but I guess as long as I start accounting for that, we should be ok.

Odiesmom

2. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for the info! It may be worth looking into for sure!

3. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

In the US you do not need to be a Costco member to use the Pharmacy...it may
    be different in Canada.

Call Costco and find out before spending the money for membership.

4. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

I got my insulin at Costco too, the 5 pack for $95 with no prescription.
    My brother works for Costco up here in Toronto, you dont need a membership to buy prescriptions/insulins or a prescription.
    I asked him for a discount, but he always tells me, "the discount is in the price" blah blah blah :lol:

The True Track is pretty much the cheapest meter/strips up here, I bought one too in our early days of DX...but as I found out thru this board, the True Trak rated lowest in the Consumer Reports review of meters, a few years ago. see link: http://docs.google.com/View?docID=dd5ck ... on=_latest
    so off I went to buy the One Touch (and watched the $$ fly out of our bank account) :lol: but it was worth it, in the end :mrgreen:

Odiesmom, thank you for the info! Good stuff to know for Canadian newbies!

5. Pandasmom

Pandasmom Member

Huh. Too good to be true I guess.
    Now I don't know what to do. In the 8 comparisons I did (before I ran out of OneTouch strips), the TrueTrack seemed consistently lower but not wildly inaccurate. Maybe I'll keep it for day-to-day, but get some OneTouch strips and if I see a weird reading, I'll double check with the OneTouch. Between his diabetes supplies, all his prescriptions, and all the expensive food he's refusing to eat, he's costing me a small fortune each month. (never mind the vet bills).

6. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

hey it's still good to mention about the cheaper rx, even if others may not want to switch their meter.

7. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

I used the TrueTrack meter when I first started testing... it was ok, but I kept ruining test strips due to "error"s. (too slow to sip up the blood, not enough blood, etc)

I tried the MAXIMA AST from www.hocks.com, and have been very pleased with it.

8. Pandasmom

Pandasmom Member

Interesting. I have not had any "error" messages or ruined strips yet.
    Maybe it's because I was already used to testing with the other glucometer?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.