Cancer Diagnosis for Rho

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by kimberbee, Jul 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kimberbee

kimberbee Member

I had almost posted a good update this morning - Rho finally pooped last night (hadn't in 3 days) and asked to go up on the bathroom counter for a drink of water from the faucet this morning.

But I just got off the phone with the vet, who received the lab results back on the fluid in his abdomen. They diagnosed him with carcinomatosis. I could take him in to get an ultrasound which might tell me where the cancer is or how big it is, but that won't make it go away.

I think at this point, it'll just be a matter of keeping him comfortable until he slows down. He has been sleeping a bit more the last few days, but will still come down stairs to sit with me on the couch, and come upstairs to sleep in his bed at bedtime. He acts relatively normal, which is making this a bit harder.

I was going to ask this morning about food... I've been spoon feeding him baby food 4 -3 times a day, which sometimes takes up to an hour, because he likes to lick thin layers off the back of the spoon - He doesn't like it when it's on the front of the spoon or in a big glob. I was going to try to start adding in cat food for nutrition, but at this point does it really even matter?

However, I'd like him to enjoy what time he has left - so I will take suggestions for your cats favorite "junk" foods and treats, just to give it a try.

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I am so sorry. If the fluid becomes so much that his belly feels tight, you may want to have the vet extract some of it to keep Rho more comfortable. Have you been given anything for pain, in case he is experiencing some?

I make bone broth for my girls. It is supposed to be very good for elderly and sick animals: https://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2013/12/02/pet-bone-broth.aspx Do you think he might eat something like the Tiki Cat mouse treats?

EDIT: They are 'mousse' treats, not 'mouse' treats... the cats might like it better if they were 'mouse' treats. :cat:

3. FurBabiesMama

By the way, this literally brought tears to my eyes. I told you in a previous post about what happened with my Jordan. :( So, this hit close to home. The hardest part for me with Jordan was the sudden shock of it and not being with him when he died. So, I hope there is at least some comfort in knowing and being able to cherish the time you have left with him. And, I hope you are able to be with him whenever the time comes. :bighug:

4. kimberbee

kimberbee Member

I'll look into both.

Thank you for your kind words.

5. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

I am sorry you received such a diagnosis. I have experienced that with 3 of my animals.

I would watch for fluid and get it relieved if he becomes uncomfortable. Pain medications if needed.

Carla has done some research about cancer with her kitty Simba. She may have some pointers on keeping Rho comfortable. @carfurby

In the meantime, it sounds like he is doing ok, so enjoy him.

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

6. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

I’m so very sorry for the diagnosis.:bighug: I recently lost my diabetic kitty to heart failure. He was still eating pretty well, but when I knew the time was getting close I added all sorts of yummy treats that he had loved in his prediabetic days. It made him so happy to get a few temptations here and there as well as other things. He was still on insulin and I didn’t over do it, and kept up with glucose testing and adjusted the insulin accordingly, but it was worth it to see him gobble up those treats and happily search for more. I hope Rho has plenty more happy time left so you can spoil him like he deserves!:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Idjit's mom and kimberbee like this.
  7. kimberbee

kimberbee Member

What do you mean when you say "watch for fluid"? I had no idea he had fluid when I took him to the vet Sunday, so what are the signs there's a buildup of it?

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  8. HereKittyKittyKitty

HereKittyKittyKitty Member

I'm so sorry. Hugs and prayers :bighug:

Some of my cats have enjoyed chicken, turkey, and cheese. A couple were known to sit up and beg like a dog :rolleyes: My current cat gobbles up Orijen freeze dried dog treats (regional red and beef).

kimberbee likes this.
  9. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry you received this diagnosis. Do whatever it takes to enjoy your time with him and to keep him comfortable. :bighug:

kimberbee likes this.
  10. JeanW

JeanW Member

I am so sorry. I had a very similar experience a few years back. It's shocking and painful.

Enjoy your time with him and make the most of it. Prayers and good thoughts for you both.

kimberbee likes this.
  11. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

He will be slightly uncomfortable and he may look bloated.

kimberbee likes this.
  12. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry about the diagnosis. If he wants to eat baby food, then let him eat baby food. I say let him enjoy what he loves as long as it doesn't make him feel bad. I hope the vet gave you some pain medicine. I have a can with cancer right now and the pain medicine is really necessary. I will warn you there will be good days and bad days. Some days they feel bad and the next day they perk right back up. Just love on him and make the most of the time you have left. He doesn't know anything is different and will keep being his loving self. Sending prayers.

13. Beck and Philly

Beck and Philly Well-Known Member

Hugs! I am in the same situation, though a different type of cancer. Just know you aren't alone. Let's spoil our babies and help them live each day knowing how much they're loved.

14. FurBabiesMama

Rub his belly occasionally. It will become firmer/tighter if it fills with a lot of fluid.

kimberbee likes this.
  15. kimberbee

kimberbee Member

Thank you everyone for your kind words. I'm having a really hard time right now not letting this get me down. Rho has been my prime focus for the past 5 days straight - I feel like crap because I haven't been sleeping much or eating well, and the house is a mess.

This morning was a good morning though. Rho hasn't been allowed up on the bed in just over 2 years - my husband and I agreed no pets on the bed when we moved in together, plus the bed is too high for Rho to jump up on anyway. Well, he sat staring at me this morning waiting for me to get up (like most mornings, the little creeper), so I picked him up and we cuddled on the bed for half an hour. We just won't tell "dad" - Rho loved it and was purring so loud! Afterwards, he walked into the bathroom (asking for water from the sink) so I plopped him up on the counter for a minute or two for a drink. He even drank a sip or two from his water bowl once we went downstairs, and must have eaten a few licks of the cat food I had left out overnight.

This is just the way things are going to be with him for a while and I have to force myself to "get on with life" and remember I need to take care of myself too. I need to eat (and eat better). The bathrooms still need to be cleaned, weeds still need to be pulled, but I can still take breaks to cuddle and feed my kitty.

I think the part that REALLY upsets me, and is making me a bit angry and possibly resentful is that Rho likely won't be around when the baby comes in October. But my husband's big stinky dog will be (I'm definitely a cat person). I won't get those cute kitty/baby pictures I'd been hoping for. I won't get to take Rho and baby in the stroller on walks like I wanted to. My two babies will probably never meet and that really hurts my heart.

16. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

Dad doesn't need to know :p

How is Rho doing?

kimberbee likes this.
  17. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug:

kimberbee likes this.
  18. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry sweetheart. Sometimes our big plans don't work out like we want, but...you have Rho now, enjoy the lovies, and purrs and all. Take some pics now and tell your little one all about the wonderful kitty you had while you were carrying him/her. Maybe make a children's book with a story about how Rho came to live with you and what adventures you had. And, speaking as a mom and a granny, *take care of yourself!!!* Eat better, rest better. You can't take care of Rho and feel good growing a baby if you aren't well. Break down your tasks, clean the bathroom sink, rest. Then later do the stupid toilet or tub..you don't have to do everything at once. Hugs to you and Rho.:bighug::bighug::bighug:

19. kimberbee

kimberbee Member

@Sandi & Whisper @Kris & Teasel @Idjit's mom

Rho is hanging in there. He's eating and drinking on his own, though barely anything, and I'm not going to assist/force him. He's still up and down the stairs to use the litterbox and moves between his favorite spots multiple times a day. We snuggle just about every morning and evening, and usually at some point during the day I lay on the floor next to him for pets or to brush his fur.

He does seem restless and I rarely catch him with his head down and eyes closed. I haven't heard him meow in a few days (not even to 'complain'). I'm trying not to worry or fuss over him too much. I figure if he stops eating entirely, misses the litterbox, or won't get out of bed/use the stairs, then I'll know things really are taking a turn.

I did take him out to sit on the front porch the other night - he spied some butterflies and a bunny, which perked him up.

Attached Files:

20. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

Awwww... His eyes look good! That's how I always tell it is time to be concerned, when the light in their eyes is gone. He looks great spying on the critters, that picture makes me smile :D

But I understand your concern, and your approach. We went through this recently and decided to monitor normal activities closely and without resorting to force feeding. But that all sounds good for Rho right now! Could it be better -- sure, you just want to beg them to just eat...just a little bit more for mama... But the rest sounds really good. And don't forget... Pictures and video. You will never regret getting too much.

We'll be thinking of you both. Hugs and head bonks to you both. :bighug:

Best,
    Sandi.

kimberbee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.