Caninsulin fade-away effect / storage temp

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (The Main Forum)' started by Noah & me (GA), Oct 1, 2017.

1. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Noah can slip into "high-dose/bouncer" mode if you look at him wrong. He's usually a tiny bit higher than I'd like but there's no in-between with him. I'm okay with all this, he eats despite his horrible teeth, his pain is managed, lots of stuff. Today I opened a new vial and I'll be hovering over him because that's how Caninsulin seems to work, it very slowly fades away. Does this happen to anyone else? Should I be starting a new vial every 14 days? No 2 fridges are the same and even if I kept a thermometer in there I can't control the temp that closely. I use the butter box.
    I just looked at 2 FAQs that were of no help!
    Why does Caninsulin seem to fade away? "The product should be used for 21 days, 28 days or 42 days after first opening, depending on the country.
    Considering I don't have a medical grade fridge what temperature blah blah....
    "Vetsulin should not be frozen"
    Wow, thanks Doctor Of-No-Help-Whatsoever! Depending on the country??? I'm glad I'm not on Twitter because this little snippet was included.
    Is Vetsulin made here in the US?
    No, Vetsulin/Caninsulin are manufactured by Merck Animal Health in Germany.

Sorry Donald, I'm doing the best I can. Is Puerto Rico an island?
    Where does everyone else keep their insulin?

How come there's no White House dog?

2. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Member

Oh gosh I think I'm right there with you. I've heard so many people use until the vial was empty, or get months of use out of it, but I find we still need to get a new vial after a month... maybe a month and a half if we're really lucky. :facepalm: Originally, we were keeping ours in the butter box (in the fridge door), but then we thought maybe that wasn't keeping the temp consistent enough. So now we have it in the wine bottle holder in the middle of the fridge (it keeps it up out of the way so it doesn't get lost within the fridge). I've wondered if it was starting to fade again, but I never actually know. I feel like I'm just trying to go with the flow... not always sure how that's going...:confused:

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  3. Noah & me (GA)

Thank you so much. Even though this monster KichenAid was a mortgage payment the stuff at the back freezes and it rattles all day. I don't think there is an answer other than keep it cold and never go right to the bottom of the vial.

4. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Member

Yep, I think you are right!

5. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

I'd suggest not keeping it in the door of the fridge.

6. Noah & me (GA)

Without even thinking about I've assumed all my life people want their butter soft so the butter tray was not as cold as the rest of the fridge-a-mator. And I always tell people never to assume anything. Feeling like a schmuck right now.

7. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

I can unconfuse the date thing. When a manufacturer applies for the FDA (other countries, other groups) approval for the med, they must indicate the expiration time period. Those are the dates the manufacturer indicated. There's expiration dates on some really wierd 'unexpirable' things because of it.

The frozen part - insulin is a hormone that is killed when frozen. It also dies when it gets really hot.

'Vetsulin' is the 'brand name' for Canninsulin in the USA.

8. Noah & me (GA)

To make things worse Canada and the U.S. use different month/day day/month coding. Lots of older Canadians still use the imperial system. 2X4's from Home Depot, sports etc. We don't use MPG for cars which is idiotic, lots of people resent it. My thermostat is set to Fahrenheit, in English!!!