? Caninsulin. Lower than usual preshot number. Reducing carbs. Dose advice needed.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Elizabeth and Bertie, Dec 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi folks, a question from Maya's Mum @LauraGirling in PM this evening. Any other dosing advice? Please chime in.
    Note: Laura's previous thread is here:
    I want to change my cat's diet

Laura is in UK. Maya is on Caninsulin (I think!). Has had high numbers (higher 20's/400's) and also a drop to 1.7 (30.6). Laura is transitioning Maya to low carb wet food.

"It's time for Maya's insulin, checked her BG and its 14.7! That's the lowest it's been in ages (apart from the 1.7 episode at the weekend) it's only day 2 of moving over to wet food (still on a bit of dry)

I haven't given her insulin I thought I would leave it an hour or so and check it again as she is currently on 2 units and that may be too much now.

What would your advice be?
    Thanks"

Eliz reply:
    "Hi Laura,

It may be that Maya is dropping out of a 'bounce', in which case there may be some merit in waiting a while (if possible) and testing again just to make sure that she's not going to drop even further. It's usually advisable to give insulin only on a number that is definitely rising.

If Maya was on 2 units when she previously dropped to that very low number of 1.7, then I would strongly suggest reducing the dose.

On FDMB we generally suggest that all advice is 'peer reviewed', ie open, transparent and subject to other people's input. That's in order to keep you safe (just in case I'm giving you bad advice).
    Is it OK if I post your question on the main FDMB forum?

Eliz

PS. 14.7 is a good sign! :)"

Thanks so much, folks,

Eliz

Edited to add:
    Laura @LauraGirling , my 'best guess' at this point would be to reduce the dose by maybe half, ie to one unit, and see how that settles out. But if there is any history of ketones/ketosis then that may need to be reconsidered.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  2. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

Tee hee I was just posting in the other thread that it was sounding like canninsulin might not be suited to Maya - prove me wrong Maya prove me wrong!

I don't have a heap of experience with canninsulin but my initial thought was to halve the dose too - and monitor carefully.

3. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Elizabeth, based on my experience with Vetsulin, I would say this is good advice - always better safe than sorry! But without being able to see more numbers and know more specifics of the diet transition I am hesitant to give dosing advice. Definitely make sure the numbers are rising when you shoot.

4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Caninsulin can drop numbers like a rock at the best of times but during a food transition the drops can be really alarming and potentially dangerous.

In Saoirse's case, I had to drastically reduce her dose during the food transition. She went from 3IU BID to 0.5 IU in 2 days. (No history of ketones, btw.)

Extra vigilance with plenty of extra mid-cycle tests is what I would suggest. Doses may need to be adjusted on a cycle by cycle basis as the higher carb food works its way out of the cat's system (and it may do so in a very, very short space of time). Also make sure to test for ketones, and keep the vet regularly informed of progress. (I was in daily contact with our vets when Saoirse did the switch to low carbs).

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.