Caninsulin to PZI results

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by toadflaxbex, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toadflaxbex

toadflaxbex Member

Hi there, We are currently on Caninsulin 8 units a day, Toadflax has his fructozamine results come back and they have gone down from 647 to 612 whatever that means. His basic glucose test they did at the vets was 30 (UK reading) originally and is now 19 so its on its way down. The vet wants to keep him on Caninsulin for a couple more weeks and then transfer him over to PZI if the results aren't much better.

My question is, has anyone else first been on caninsulin and then changed over to PZI and then seen a really good result. I've heard rave reviews about PZI and when mentioned it to my vet on Tuesday he had said he was already planning on swapping him anyway so that was positive.

2. Diana&Tom

Diana&Tom Well-Known Member

Well, basically this isn't too surprising. Readings are often higher at the vets than at home, at least partly because the stress of being in an unfamiliar environment can push BGs up, so to go from 30 without insulin to 19 on Caninsulin isn't surprising at all. Nor is the very slight fructosamine test drop - it is a drop, which is good, but shows that there hasn't been much difference in BGs overall since the last one.

8u of Caninsulin a day is pretty high but the vet probably prescribed that because of the very high original BG. Most vets would have suggested starting lower and working your way up if necessary, but this vet seems to have a good handle on things and far be it from us here to argue as such with a vet who has hands-on experience of an animal. Just know that 8u is quite high.

As I think I explained before, PZI will be better because it will be more of a gradual, "drip-feed" of insulin going into his system so his BGs are lower for a longer period of time than with Caninsulin, which is usually gives a faster drop but then peters out quickly. It's very hard to say though how an insulin is working in any one cat unless you are home-testing and can give us more of an idea of his response after one hour, two hours, four hours etc.

I fully suspect that your vet will switch to PZI when he deems it appropriate and we just have to wait and see what the response is then. Just bear in mind the FD is a marathon, not a sprint, ie you may have to be prepared to be in this for the longer-term. There's no quick fix, except for those very lucky ones!

3. toadflaxbex

toadflaxbex Member

Oh he didnt start on 8 Units hun, he was at level 30 and we started at 2 twice a day. He went in 4 weeks later and the vet upped to 3 twice a day, 3 weeks later still it was high, so upped to 4 twice a day. Now the fructozamine results has gone down since being on 8 a day. And showing at 19. So we have gone from 30 in around 8 weeks to 19 gradually increasing the units. This is why he has said in two weeks if no dramatic change we are going to PZI. We mentioned this to him on Tuesday when he went in for bloods and he'd already been planning switching him anyway. Said he has patients on it already so that was the plan.

I am starting home testing at the weekend once I get the monitor, which will give us more accurate results. The vet is keen on me to do this :)

Thanks for your reply appreciated!

4. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

So you are giving 4 units, twice a day, otherwise known as 4 units BID or 8 units total a day.

I will say that there really isn't any need to delay changing, except that hometesting will give you some more data as to how the caninsulin is working. Going to the vet for the occassional test and getting fructosamines won't really tell you what is going on inbetween shots, and THAT is the data you need to get in order to properly dose.

Je

5. Diana&Tom

Diana&Tom Well-Known Member

Well that's a relief, that the vet didn't start on 8 units - I'd hate to openly disagree with a real medical person but that would be high for a starting dose by anyone's standards. However, I agree with Jen above - there's not really any need to delay a switch to PZI and home-testing, to give you a full picture. Then you'll be able to gauge what's what much more easily. We're all rooting for you!

6. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

I agree with the others.

Caninsulin is a harsh insulin in my view, with peak action at around +4. Generally means cat spends a longer part of the day in high numbers, not good for the kidneys.

PZI has a longer duration and far better feedback overall.

You'll get a much better picture once you start hometesting as to how low 4u is taking him.

Good luck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.