Caninsulin (Vetsulin): I need opinions about the glucose curve I got today.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Owen & Ceci, Aug 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Owen & Ceci

Owen & Ceci Member

Hi all, today I did the glucose curve at home for my cat Owen to try to set his dose, with a shot of 1 unit of Caninsulin at 8.45 am.

I stopped testing after 14:30 pm, since it was already raising and he was at his unfortunately "normal" high numbers already. It seems it has a short effect so far :(

The vet suggested to increase the dose in half unit.

What do you think? I would really appreciate opinions from people with experience with this insulin.

Here's the curve, numbers are still really high :(:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5Mj0VvlcbpLVFNPcVZaZENhNXM/view?usp=sharing

Thank you so much!

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Cats have a fast metabolism and while some cats have a longer effect from Caninsulin, many have curves exactly like what you are seeing. I am not a Caninsulin user, but based on the numbers you got today, I would try 1.5u to see where that takes Owen. I would however only do so tonight if you can test up to about +5 post shot as it appears his nadir is around +4.5 and you don't want him dropping too fast or too much overnight. It looks like you still have lots of room for the drop but I'd still want to be monitoring because another 0.5 units is a 50% increase in insulin. My personal preference is to make dose increases during day cycles when I know I will be awake and able to intervene but my schedule allows that luxury and yours might not.

BTW, Owen is an absolutely gorgeous kitty! :)

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I agree with your vet to up the dose. Do 1.5 for a few days and then reevaluate if you should go to two.

4. Owen & Ceci

Owen & Ceci Member

Thank you @MrWorfMen's Mom :) The vet also told me to test Owen at midnight, that's within a few minutes.
    You have a beautiful little panther by the way :)

And thank you too @JanetNJ :)

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  5. JanetNJ

BTW, my cat is CC too. She's doing about 2.5 u of vetsulin.

6. Owen & Ceci

Owen & Ceci Member

@JanetNJ , what does CC mean? I've read it several times and still don't know its meaning :confused:
    Slowly I'm learning all this new stuff

7. Owen & Ceci

Owen & Ceci Member

@JanetNJ , sorry, I've just realized its the name of you kitty! :p I've always seen it in posts by you now that I remember.
    How embarasing :oops:

JanetNJ likes this.
  8. JanetNJ

In this case C.C. Is my cat's name. Lol. I suppose in another context it could be referring to a unit of measurement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.