Can't Draw Blood?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by lwelch, Mar 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lwelch

lwelch New Member

Hi, I'm new. I haven't had a whole lot of time to browse the site but I think this is where I should post? My cat was diagnosed about a week ago, but since she was diagnosed she's been eating and we've been able to keep her levels normal. This morning and last night though, she hasn't been doing much of anything other than laying down. My dad tried to draw blood a little while ago (20-30 mins, tops) to check her levels but he couldn't draw any blood? Has anyone else had trouble with this and is there anything we could try that we haven't already? He tried to draw blood from her ear and from her paw and neither worked.

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

hi there

it could be your lancet device needs to be at a higher setting, try moving it up one notch at a time, are u warming up the ear before you poke it?

here is a link to handy tips and videos for home testing:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=287

3. Sabrina's Mom

Sabrina's Mom New Member

I'm right there with you on drawing blood. Last night and today are my first days of home testing and I am so frustrated, in tears, etc. Last night and this morning were okay, but the two times since then I can't get blood or I keep getting errors on the meter. I know it will get better for both of us but do read the links on how to get blood. I'm thinking my problem was that her ear wasn't warm enough and I was jabbing her in the wrong places (that little vein on a tuxedo kitty is soooo hard to find). I don't want to scare you off of trying but just want you to know you're not the only one having problems. Good luck!

4. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

You can also try using the lancet free hand instead of using the pen. Many of us find we have better control that way. You want to poke the ear near the outer edge towards the tip of the ear. If you look carefully, you will see a little vein running along the outside of the ear. Try to poke between the edge and the vein. However, if you poke the vein, don't panic. You just may end up with more blood than you need.

Warmin the ear or massaging the ear also helps to get the blood to flow. Try massaging the ear below where you poke to push the blood up. You don't need a large drop.

Sometimes ears need to learn to bleed. You are doing great, sometimes it just takes a little practice to find the best method that works for you. :mrgreen:

5. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Although concerning, this doesn't seem to be an emergency (911) situation, so I am removing the icon.

6. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

When you said she is just lying down, can you help us understand how serious that may be? i.e. is she non-responsive? when did she last eat? what time is it in reference to her last shot? have you been able to check her pee for ketones?

have you read the hypo symptoms (there is a hypo reference post here on Health, I'll make sure it's bumped up in a minute)? you should also read the symptoms for DKA, but I don't know off the top of my head where those are - I will look for them and post if I can find them, or if anyone else knows please post! hopefully she has neither of those situations going on, but it's good to know what you are looking at just in case

Since you have a 911 on the post I'm thinking she may be acting seriously off of her normal self? If things seem serious I would take her to the vet if you need to - getting a home test is great if you can, but if you can't right now (and you may be extra stressed out if she is not acting well) and something really seems wrong with her, take her in to the vet if needed.

I don't mean to sound alarmist, just want to be sure that if this is a life-threatening situation you get all the help you need. Please keep us posted how things go!

7. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

here is the DKA info http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/DKA

the biggest thing that jumps out at me right now is if she is not eating - it's really important that diabetic cats eat, so if she has not eaten last night or today please let us know....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.