Can't get home for 7pm check and shot

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by RobbiesMom, Sep 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobbiesMom

RobbiesMom Member

I am stuck at work - we have new owners and a crisis has come up- my husband is fine with giving Robbie a shot but has never pricked his ear and frankly I doubt it would work, esp. with him alone the first time. I've been planning on teaching him but was hoping Robbie would get better at it first. So .. do I just not do anything and hopefully be home by 10pm when I could test and shoot if needed?
    I'm totally stressed by the work crisis and really would love to not feel the panic over Robbie on top of that. What if anything do you all do if you can't make a shot time and how much of a window do you think there really is? He's acting fine, playing with toys, ate his dinner and is resting comfortably no reason to think he's not well - but I would suspect his numbers are going up.
    Thanks for any input.

2. gingerand((calliope))(GA)

gingerand((calliope))(GA) Member

Hi. I looked at your spreadsheet, but I can't tell much from it since there are doses of different amounts. I read your other thread on the dessert. :D

I'm probably missing something and I haven't read your earlier posts, but what insulin is Robbie on?

You could have your husband attempt to test and, if successful, he could shoot if you're at a safe number. I just don't know what you're shooting since the doses are not consistent.

OR, you could take the "life happens" approach and wait until you get home. The issue with that is when to shoot in the morning to get back on schedule. When you do shoot, you could come here for some advice on that, depending on what time you shot and your schedule tomorrow as well as the pre-shot numbers and any tests you get after you shoot, this evening.

I know I'm not much help!

3. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

if it were me in this situation, and hubby can't get a test in, i'd skip the shot until you get home. then, if tomorrow morning's schedule is not flexible, i'd probably skip altogether tonight or give a reduced dose.

i had to skip a couple shots here in the last couple weeks myself simply because i didn't get home until +15 or so and that would make the morning shot come waaaaaay too soon and my schedule isn't that flexible in the mornings

4. RobbiesMom

RobbiesMom Member

Robbie is on proZinc - 1U if his numbers are 150-250 and 2U's if over 250 - this is what we are doing until we can see where he lands after a HYPO and serious change in diet. He got 2U's this am because his numbers were high - due to extra dry last night and a snack of cake frosting... it was cream cheese so I don't blame him but LOADED with sugar. (frankly I'm insane to have had any but I worked it out diet wise all day to be able to indulge).
    I won't be home till +15 I'm sure - Hubby tried to test him and Robbie won't even let him sit next to him without squirming. Plus the dog goes INSANE when "daddy" pays that kind of attention to the cats - I imagine it was a pretty wild living room experience. So... I'll test when I get home. See where he is - theoretically there's a chance I could go home at about 11am tomorrow and shoot his morning shot than - and start to work back to 7 and 7 ... have to mull this over big time. A lot will depend on what his numbers are when I get home tonight.
    thanks

5. gingerand((calliope))(GA)

Pat on the back for daddy's attempt!

I'm not familiar with that new insulin. I was a lantus user, so I don't know anything about adjusting daily doses based on pre-shot numbers.

In the future if the dogs are jealous, y'all might consider whether finding another room to shoot and test would be helpful. I had to lock my other 3 kitties out of the kitchen when I tested Calliope because they would come sniffing around which caused Calliope to be wilder than she already was during testing. She was not an easy kitty to test and that's an understatement. I had to use the kitty burrito wrap method. :D

Life sometimes requires us to make adjustments in shooting. It can be fixed, though.

Hope you come home to good numbers and a restful evening.

6. RobbiesMom

RobbiesMom Member

Just had to share - hope this is not inappropriate since it's off the topic but I may just have to opt out of cat ownership - husband just called - Roxie our female - (who's not getting as much attention these days due to Robbie's issues and the new dog) managed to get into a small cabinet where I lock up the thread for sewing - and when hubby got back from running an errand the string was all over the living room and Roxie was in our bedroom with some string hanging out of her mouth. He pulled as much as he could out but she started choking and bit down and broke the string. OK I don't know about Robbie but my bg levels are probably thru the roof due to stress. Here I am still stuck at work. Vet just called and told me to feed her a few small meals, give her petromalt (hairball remedy) and watch her in about 6 hours - another long night ahead.

7. gingerand((calliope))(GA)

UGH!!! I've had one of those moments. Those strings and ribbons can be a bad scene! My Mr. Snuggles swallowed a lone piece of ribbon he somehow found. The only reason I knew about it was that we saw it hanging out of his behind! Had to bring him to the vet and luckily, the vet was able to pull it out, pretty easily, but don't try to pull it out yourself, if it shows up. It can get tangled around organs, not to scare you, but it can. You will probably be lucky and it will pass or be easily removable, but do check poo and behind for it.

8. RobbiesMom

RobbiesMom Member

oh, I've been down this road with her many times - once I thought she'd eaten a whole thing of dental floss - but she hadn't (found the spool under the couch) but not before I ran to the vet and she got x-rayed I swear she smells this stuff out. Cats also have small barbs under their tongues - if something like string gets caught there and they swallow it can be both in their intestines and attached to their tongues - not a good thing - I can't even think about it.

9. RobbiesMom

RobbiesMom Member

Back on topic
    got home at 10:15 and Robbie is 124 - NO SHOT - but I guarantee he'll be high tomorrow. Only time will tell.

10. gingerand((calliope))(GA)

What a nice number. Maybe he won't go so high.

I hope the string thing work it's way out, naturally. I didn't know about the tongue. I was really lucky with snugs. The ribbon was over a foot long and it was pretty thick. Scared the devil out of me!

On the humorous side, the way we noticed it hanging from his behiney was because the other cat was chasing Snugs and the ribbon! Snugs was not entertained by that.

11. RobbiesMom

RobbiesMom Member

LOL now that IS funny - thanks for lightening up the situation. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.