? Capsules for bitter pills?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by shelaghc, Aug 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shelaghc

shelaghc Well-Known Member

The vet just prescribed Cerenia for Jester, but I'm giving him 1/2 pill daily. The pill breaks apart completely when I try to split it in half.
    When I mix it with water and syringe it in his mouth, he winds up with saliva all over his chin from the bitter taste so I have no idea how much he's actually getting.

The vet's office has some #3 pills they said I can have (they were donated). Are they too big for his throat?

I know #4 are recommended. But if I order through Amazon they won't arrive until well after Labor Day and this is a one week prescription.

I've been calling all over Pittsburgh and the surrounding areas (pet supply places, vet's offices, pharmacies, natural food stores, etc.) but no one locally has them for a kitty's throat.

Would I be doing more harm than good with #3 size capsules? I have a pill popper so I don't have a problem that way.

2. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Can you pop the pill inside a tasty treat that he will gobble down? That's how I always used to get pills into Squallie. Even the high-carb stuff (pill pockets, etc) didn't bother his BG, because I only used just enough to cover the pill. One of the things he will still eat that I can hide pills in is Prime meatsticks - I break off a tiny portion and stuff the pill down inside (sometimes a difficult proposition!), and he eats it so fast he doesn't realize the pill is there.

3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

shelaghc likes this.
  4. shelaghc

I've been instructed not to use pill pockets with Cerenia.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  5. shelaghc

6. Squalliesmom

Oh! No one ever told me that, thanks for the heads-up! Did they say why?
    I know if you smear a little bit of butter on the capsules they slide down easier. :)

Critter Mom likes this.
  7. shelaghc

As I said, I'm giving him half a pill and they break apart completely when I split them.
    Not an option.

And the vet just said I also need to wait an hour after the pill before feeding him.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  8. Squalliesmom

Sorry for the misunderstanding! I meant the capsules, after you've put the pieces in, will go down easier with a little bit of butter. And I can understand why putting a bunch of little pieces into a pill pocket or treat would be an issue.

Probably takes the meds a while to kick in, want to make sure the nausea is under control before offering food. I know I have to wait for Squallie's cyproheptadine to kick in before I feed, too.

Hope the capsules work and Jester feels better! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

9. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

I've been using #3 capsules with my cyvies (those are the only ones available for me and even those took me a while to get ) to give them one very bitter med that not even tuna disguised and they've been able to swallow them quite ok, I do use a pill popper to give them and always give them a little bit of water right after I give the capsule to make sure they pass

The good side is I'm able to put the med and some vitamins on the same capsule and so I only give them one instead of two

Critter Mom likes this.
  10. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

I was told that too, because it's less effective was my answer that I received.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  11. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I like #5’s. Very small

12. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I mostly use #3. YOu can get a lot of meds in those and they are NOT too large at all

13. BirdiesMom

BirdiesMom New Member

I take it you folks are referring to getting empty capsules and putting stuff in them? I can see why this works with the intial issue stated here (pieces, bitter), but I am wondering if the capsules may be a little slicker to go down?

14. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

They are slicker.

15. BirdiesMom

BirdiesMom New Member

C.C. I think you are the one who said about petsure test strips. Thanks!

16. BirdiesMom

BirdiesMom New Member

I haven't used them, but chicken-flavored empty capsules are listed on Amazon. #4

17. Evie Corso

Evie Corso Member

It’s too late now, but a compounding pharmacy will have any size capsule you could want. Just search online for a “compounding pharmacy” near you. Health food stores are another place that MAY have them. Can’t believe your vet didn’t just give a shot of Convenia - unless you are waiting for a culture to come back and may be changing drugs. That is a good reason not to give the shot.

18. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I used no 3 capsules for putting tamadol in, which is very bitter, for Sheba and she had no problem swallowing them. I always had a tasty morsel for her to have after she swollowed it.

19. shelaghc

We do have a compounding pharmacy in the area. They don't normally seem to carry small capsules at all. They do have some #3 capsules because the pharmacist got some for a special order, but that's what I already have.

In the meantime I ordered a batch of #4s from Amazon in case this we need them in the future.

Hoping the #4s are more manageable than the #3s.....

Evie Corso likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.