? Carb calculator app for Iphones.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Helena & Murinka, Aug 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Helena & Murinka

Helena & Murinka Member

Hi,

Does anybody have experience with this Carb Calculator application for Iphones? https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id1038305912 It looks like a great tool but when looking at the list Food Info for UK available at this forum https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/1/d/1J5JpMe6TDXrHq_aTl9hUtHy6Gs9oRBqlz4nPGKxtySA/pubhtml Im confused because I keep having different numbers. Clarification would be very welcome.

And thank you also for this source of information and knowledge. Myself and my kittie we´are at the beginning and Im trying to slowly include more low carb food in her diet (havingin mind it has to go hand in hand with home testing and close watching of the BG). She´s been on dry R/D Hills prescription diet for ages :( but who would have said that veterinary diet is worse than ordinary wet canned food :banghead:

Thanks and best from Prague - btw I was wondering whether is there a member from my part of the globe?
    Helena

2. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi Helena,

When we refer to the carb levels in cat food here at FDMB we are talking about the 'percentage of calories that come from carbohydrate'.
    This is how the UK list is calculated also. The 'percentage of calories from carbs' is shown in the yellow column.

Some people have used that phone Carb Calculator that you refer to, and have found it useful, but I've been unable to find out what formula it uses to calculate carb content. (I'm one of the few people in the western world that doesn't own a mobile phone, so I can't try it out! Ha-ha!)
    *Edited to add: It may be that this carb calculator calculates the percentage of carbs by weight, and as dry matter.

There is another phone Carb Calculator, by Rogar Rioz (I think!), and my understanding is that this does calculate the 'percentage of calories from carbs'.
    A source for this phone calculator can be found in the second link in my signature (you'll need to scroll down that page, almost to the bottom).

Please let me know if you need more information. And I'll do whatever I can to help.

By the way, I can't think of anyone else here from your part of the World, but perhaps it would be worth starting another thread to ask that...?

Eliz

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    Reason for edit: *Adding info about OP's calculator question
  3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

The carb calculators only work using the Guaranteed Analysis numbers which are only minimums and maximums....they can be useful to give you a general idea if a food is going to be low carb, but that's about it

4. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi Chris,

You raise a very good point about 'Guaranteed Analysis' numbers, and the limitations of doing calculations based on 'GA' percentages.

Helena is in Europe. And one of the good things about being in Europe is that most of our pet foods are labelled with 'Typical Analysis' rather than 'Guaranteed Analysis' (hurrah!), and this is much more likely to be an accurate representation of what is in the can. This means carb calculations are much easier for us, and we don't have to 'go through the hoops' that US folks have to go through in order to get accurate data (ie. contacting the manufacturer).

However, if we Europeans buy foods that are made in the US then we have exactly the same issues that US folks have.... :rolleyes:

Eliz

5. Helena & Murinka

Helena & Murinka Member

Eliz,

Thank you very much! I have read through your great post about UK General Food Info several times :) It seems like a great deal of food from your list can be bought online at Zooplus (we have Zoohit which looks to be the same). And what is also great about this eshop - every food is labelled with typical analysis ... And did I get it right that all the food listed on your list is okay?

I am trying to change a bit her diet, but I have to go slowly because as I said she´s been on dry food all her life and with the Insuline dose she became hypo a little bit today and yesterday as well so I really have to go on slowly. I also want to talk to my vet about the change of her diet but he seems to be less experienced in feline diabetes than most of the pleople here. I think he´s more experienced with dog diabetes. Murinka is on Caninsulin and after reading a lot on this website I think he went too quickly with the insuline. At the beginning when we learnt the diagnose the most important for me was to be able to take care of Murinka but also to keep my life - so insuline once with a day was sort of the only option for me - working full time, traveling quite often ... But now I think I will have to convince the vet that we need to split in 2 times a day and lower dose. Because she has quite a dose (7units of Caninsulin) in the morning and when she doesn´t eat enough she can very easily become hypo during the day and no one would be there to help her. So from what I read also about Caninsulin (since it stay in the body for max 10hours) the best way would be 2 times a day lower dose, right? I actually think that the vet is not really aware of the fact that this insuline works differently with cats than dogs ... Will see, I have a telephone consultation with him tomorrow (Im off my hometown for the end of the holiday and I update him every 3/4 days about Murinka´s numbers and attitude).

I have to say that this new situation is quite overwhelming ... But hopefully we will manage.

Thank you! Helena

6. Helena & Murinka

Helena & Murinka Member

Eliz,

Thank you very much! I have read through your great post about UK General Food Info several times :) It seems like a great deal of food from your list can be bought online at Zooplus (we have Zoohit which looks to be the same). And what is also great about this eshop - every food is labelled with typical analysis ... And did I get it right that all the food listed on your list is okay?

I am trying to change a bit her diet, but I have to go slowly because as I said she´s been on dry food all her life and with the Insuline dose she became hypo a little bit today and yesterday as well so I really have to go on slowly. I also want to talk to my vet about the change of her diet but he seems to be less experienced in feline diabetes than most of the pleople here. I think he´s more experienced with dog diabetes. Murinka is on Caninsulin and after reading a lot on this website I think he went too quickly with the insuline. At the beginning when we learnt the diagnose the most important for me was to be able to take care of Murinka but also to keep my life - so insuline once with a day was sort of the only option for me - working full time, traveling quite often ... But now I think I will have to convince the vet that we need to split in 2 times a day and lower dose. Because she has quite a dose (7units of Caninsulin) in the morning and when she doesn´t eat enough she can very easily become hypo during the day and no one would be there to help her. So from what I read also about Caninsulin (since it stay in the body for max 10hours) the best way would be 2 times a day lower dose, right? I actually think that the vet is not really aware of the fact that this insuline works differently with cats than dogs ... Will see, I have a telephone consultation with him tomorrow (Im off my hometown for the end of the holiday and I update him every 3/4 days about Murinka´s numbers and attitude).

I have to say that this new situation is quite overwhelming ... But hopefully we will manage.

Thank you! Helena

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.