? carb help

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by dpl_hcm, Apr 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dpl_hcm

dpl_hcm Member

ok I see the sticky with the foods and carbs but when I try to figure them out at home I'm getting fifferent results

example
    9lives real turkey with gravy
    prot 8
    fat 2.5
    fiber 1
    moist 82
    ash 3
    taurine .05

total 96.5 so wouldn't that be 3.5 carbs?i thought you add up and the diff from 100 is the carb?

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

To get % calories from carb (which is what Dr Lisa’s chart shows) the formula for wet food is this, (using As a fed numbers rather than Guaranteed Analysis)

1. First, add up the analysis percentages for protein, fat, ash, fiber and moisture. Then deduct the total from 100. That will give you the percentage of carbohydrate by weight.

2. Then to get the calories from each of the food elements you multiply;
    Protein x 3.5
    Fat x 8.5
    Carbohydrate x 3.5

This tells you how many calories for each of the food elements in 100g of food.
    The total of those will give you the total calories per 100g food.

3. Then to get the percentage of calories from carbs you divide the 'calories from carbs per 100g' by the 'total calories per 100g' and then multiply by 100.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  3. dpl_hcm

dpl_hcm Member

im lost in the store how to figure out the carbs.i wanna stay 6 and below but even when i do the math gravy ones come up low??but on her chart there 10-20 plus????

4. Sharon14

When I find a food that I’m not sure of, I look at the ingredients. You don’t want any grains, potato, tapioca, peas or other high carb ingredients in the first 5 or so ingredients.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  5. Sharon14

When I did the calculations I provided above, I came up with 20 calories from carbs for the 9 Lives turkey and gravy

6. dpl_hcm

dpl_hcm Member

i have twin pet brand what do u come up with.its a pate

prot 9
    fat 5.5
    fiber 1
    moist 78
    ash 3

this being a pate id assume under 10?

7. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Wow, Sharon, in the three years I have been here, you are the only one to break this down into a formula that I can actually understand! I am a maths-idiot, lol. Thank you!!! :):):)

8. Sharon14

I copied that from a post by @Elizabeth and Bertie when A few of us were working on a food chart update!

I came up with 13.5, but check my math (I suck at math). Are those numbers Guaranteed Analysis or As Fed (TNA)

Squalliesmom likes this.
  9. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Sharon14 likes this.
  10. dpl_hcm

dpl_hcm Member

11. dpl_hcm

dpl_hcm Member

12. Sharon14

If you are using the guaranteed analysis, the numbers won’t be as accurate because they are minimums and maximums. You have to use the actual as fed numbers, which you usually need to obtain from the company as they are not on the label.

13. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

You have to contact the manufacturer to get the as fed values to accurately get the carb percent. That's what Dr Lisa did to create the list. Took her MONTHS to do.

14. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Most of us feed fancy feast classic.

15. dpl_hcm

dpl_hcm Member

ok,am i looking at the carb number or the carb calorie number?which should be under 10???

16. Sharon14

Are you using Dr Lisa’s chart? The first three numbers are the % calories from protein, fat and carbs. You want that third number (% calories from carbs) to be under 10.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.