Casey was diagnosed this week

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Robin (Casey's Mom), May 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robin (Casey's Mom)

Robin (Casey's Mom) New Member

Casey is 14 and was diagnosed this week. I'm currently overseas and I don't return home until Wednesday, so I meet with the vet on Thursday to learn how to manage to the illness. It's a bit scary being away from Casey; just want to hug him!

This board already is helpful and already reassuring as it is a scary diagnosis!

2. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

It doesn't have to be scary, just a bump on the road. Be sure to get some hands on experience testing and injecting, they seem to be the hardest things to wrap your head around.

3. Robin (Casey's Mom)

Robin (Casey's Mom) New Member

Thanks "Noah & me". I think it is just the distance right now that is scary; I'm in Germany and Casey is in New York. I brought him to the vet the day before I left (a week ago) so I received the diagnosis while I was away. I fly back on Wednesday; I will feel better when I am back home and I meet with the vet. He's the love of my life. Well and my fiance too ... who also has diabetes. They are like peas in a pod ... in more ways than one now!

4. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi Robin and Casey, and welcome to FDMB. It does seem scary at first, but with the information you will find here and the support of fellow feline diabetic parents I think you will find that you will be able to manage Casey's treatment. Since your fiancee is diabetic you probably already have a basic understanding of the disease and treatment. Actually, feline diabetes and human diabetes have the same basic components: proper diet, insulin therapy and blood sugar testing. We will help in every way we can to facilitate with treatment and getting Casey squared away.
    Of course you are anxious being away, and so far away! I would be too. But, in just a few days you will be home and can begin this new journey, and learn what you need to know for Casey.
    Going forward, there are a few things I would suggest. Creating a signature for Casey, so that his pertinent data will be available whenever you post. You may not have all that information yet, but you will soon and can get that done.

Setting up your signature (light grey text under a post). Here's how:
    click on your name in the upper right corner of this page
    click on "signature" in the menu that drops down
    type the following in the box that opens: kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using and dosage amount /glucose meter you're using/what (s)he eats/any other meds or health issues (s)he has. You can add your name, and a geographic location (sometimes the time zone matters) Be sure to SAVE when you are finished.

We also use a spreadsheet to record the insulin injection and blood glucose (BG) testing data, and this is invaluable to track just how any diet change, as well as how the insulin is working for Casey.
    You will see how the trends and patterns emerge, and members can review his/her progress before offering suggestions or advice, so when you are able:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/understanding-the-spreadsheet-grid.156606/

On your return, when you have visited the vet and found out what the treatment plan is, please come back and post in the Main Health forum, so that if you have concerns or questions, or just need some friendly support, more members can see and respond. Questions about an affordable nutritious low carb wet diet, or how and where to inject insulin, and how to home test a kitty's blood sugar, for example, can be better addressed there.

We will help in every way we can, best wishes going forward! :cat:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.