Cat just diagnosed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mary&Maya, Dec 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mary&Maya

Mary&Maya New Member

Hello all. I'm Mary, my 14.5 year old cat was just diagnosed with diabetes, with a blood sugar of almost 600. She already had a diagnosis of hyperthyroidism and is medicated for that, as well as some mild kidney disease.

I'm happy to have found this site. I'm not new to pet diabetes. My dog had diabetes and required insulin from the age of 10 until he passed away from cancer at age 15.

I am new to cat diabetes. Especially if anyone has experience with both diabetes and hyperthyroidism.

Thanks for this site! I found a similar one for dogs when my dog was diagnosed, and it was an amazing resource. I knew more than the vets, and was able to keep my dog healthy for 5 years. I was sad when he passed, but so glad that diabetes didn't get him, old age and cancer did. I hope my kitty is also able to live healthily despite diabetes, but with the duel diagnosis of thyroid disease and kidney issues I'm afraid I won't be able to effectively help her. Also, after dealing with this before and only having a year off of having a diabetic pet, this diagnosis is so disheartening. I know full well the stress and worry, plus always needing to be home for the pet and avoiding late nights away from home and vacations. I'm feeling so down about this happening to her.

Vader723 and Critter Mom like this.
  2. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

Hi Mary, welcome to the best place to be if you have a diabetic cat. The people here are wonderful. Before long, you will know more about FD than your vet. The best place to ask questions is the health forum.

Mary&Maya likes this.
  3. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

We have some members that have dealt with both issues and some with the KD and FD. So plenty of experience and help available.

So hello to you and your kitty and see you over in the health forum.

Mary&Maya likes this.
  4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome!

5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome! We can help. :)

Mary&Maya likes this.
  6. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome!

Mary&Maya likes this.