CAT MAY BE IN VERY LOW NUMBERS - 24 on ALPHATRAK - HELP NEEDED ASAP

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Critter Mom, Feb 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

I just spotted this post from @Janelle on another thread:

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all! Tested my cats sugar w new test strips. Code on bottle is 37 for cats, but old strip code was 38. For those stips, vet tech advised me to set code on alpha track 2 meter to 08. Not sure what code to use for new test strips w code 37! When I tested cats sugar just now it read 24! Have never gotten a reading that low, and my cat is acting very normal! No signs of distress! He is eating now. Should I test his blood again later? Does anyone know what code should be for strips that say 37 for cats on the vial ? This has never happened to me before! My cat Trooper was diagnosed as diabetic in late Jan.

Link to original post:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...-wet-food-canada-updated.152313/#post-1612764

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I have asked Janelle to give her cat some honey or karo and to test again. I am going to ask her to follow this thread now.

Can someone sit with Janelle to make sure her kitty stays safe? I'm exhausted and can't guarantee the assistance Janelle may need.

@MrWorfMen's Mom - Linda, if you're online can you help Janelle with her question about meter coding? My brain is soup at the moment and I can't quite follow which strips she's using.

Mogs

2. Missy

Missy Member

Are we sure Janelle is mesuring in mg/dl? She could be in mmol. She does not have other posts so I don't know where she is from. Just want to make sure there is no confusion. If it is in mg/dl that is quite low. Or the coding is not proper.

3. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Ok Mogs. You go look after Saoirse and I'll monitor here. Just have to go turn dinner off!

4. Critter Mom

@Missy - It could take time to work out what's happening with the meter coding and if the 24 is mg/dL then the cat needs carbs straight away.

Can someone PM Janelle to try to get her attention? The fact that she commented on her cat having "never gotten a reading that low" then I think she could be measuring in mg/dL.

@MrWorfMen's Mom - Thank you, Linda. :bighug: (Sorry 'bout dinner and that I'm so frotzed. :( )

Mogs

MrWorfMen's Mom and Missy like this.
  5. Janelle

Janelle Member

Thank you all! I did drop the meter before I tested his blood, so maybe something is out of whack! Going to go look at meter now

6. MrWorfMen's Mom

Janelle, please keep us posted. If you need help, we are here for you!

Janelle and Critter Mom like this.
  7. Critter Mom

Very glad we managed to reach you, Janelle. You're in good hands.

Missy likes this.
  8. Janelle

Janelle Member

Meter shows 24 my/dl

9. Janelle

Janelle Member

Thank u! Left to go get Karo syrup just in case

10. MrWorfMen's Mom

Go rest Mogs. Saoirse is your priority right now. I'll keep monitoring here and make sure Janelle and her kitty are OK. :):bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  11. MrWorfMen's Mom

Janelle, 24 is too low. Anything under 68 on an AT meter is too low. Please do get some karo syrup and rub it on your kitty's gums. If you have some moderate or even high carb food you can feed the cat some food too. We are going to have monitor for a bit so I will stay with you.

When you have a spare second, can you tell me what insulin you are using and when his/her last shot was (how many hours ago not time) ?

12. MrWorfMen's Mom

No worries! I'll just take the laptop up to the kitchen! Gotta love this techn0logy at times like this! :D

Critter Mom likes this.
  13. MrWorfMen's Mom

To avoid confusion Janelle, you need to change the code on your meter to match the vial of test strips so if the code on the vial is 37, and it's currently set to 38, you need to change it. To do so, insert a strip and when the display says 38, press M or C to move it to 37 (I think it will be M)! Get another test as soon as you have done this.

14. Janelle

Janelle Member

I am giving him 1/2 unit or 1 unit depending on each reading. He ate dinner about 30 mins ago & I just re tested him. I changed code in meter to 37 to match code on stip vial. His reading is now 248

15. Janelle

Janelle Member

248 mg/dl

16. MrWorfMen's Mom

Ok what kind of insulin are you using? 248 is ok (not great number but certainly safe and you are not giving high doses so kitty may be ok! How long long since his/her shot in hours?

17. Janelle

Janelle Member

Last shot I gave him was at7:48 am and I gave him 1 unit because his reading this am was 207 using old strip. Pro Zinc is the brand of insulin I use

18. Janelle

Janelle Member

Wonder if I should test him again?

19. MrWorfMen's Mom

What time is it where you are now?

20. Janelle

Janelle Member

I am in NC and it is now 9:21pm

21. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

is it the Alpha Trac 2. The purple meter? If the bottle of strips have 38 as a code you set meter to 38.

22. Janelle

Janelle Member

the reading of 24 occured at 7:28 pm before he ate. Reading of 248 was at 9:06 pm

23. Janelle

Janelle Member

Yes it is the Alpha TRack 2 Purple meter. I just ordered replacement strips for the first time. Old vial said code for cats was 38, but vet advised me to set meter on 08. So used new strips for first time tonight when I got the 24 reading. That vial says code for cats is 37. I did not change code first when I got 24 reading. Once I changed the code to 37, I got the 248 reading at 9:06 pm

24. Olive & Paula

I'm here also for what it's worth. I was an AT user very recently. Still have it and use occasionally.

25. Olive & Paula

No the vet is wrong that's the old meter. Set it to what the bottle of strips says.

Critter Mom likes this.
  26. MrWorfMen's Mom

Ok you are on the same time as me and 248 is an ok number so I think you can safely relax for now! Any time you get new vial of strips, you must make sure to check the code and change it if need be. If I were you though, knowing you got that 24 reading., I'd check again before heading off to bed to see whether he is dropping and how fast. Please post your next reading and we'll advice you accordingly. I think you are ok for the night but kitties don't always follow the rules so lets just keep an eye on him/her. When do you usually go to bed? I'll watch for your before bed reading.

P.S. Your vet is dead wrong about the code. It must be set according to the code on each new vial of strips. ;)

Amy & Tommy likes this.
  27. Olive & Paula

Okay, you have it set to 37. Did you run control test?

28. Janelle

Janelle Member

I purchased exactly what the vet advised me. Got teh starter kit with the meter, strips and lancet. I appreciate everyones help. Thinking I need to test him again before I administer any insulin? What would you do if it was your cat? Im still getting used to all this . Started giving my Trooper insulin on Jan 27th, so still learning. This is first time anything liek this has happened.

29. Janelle

Janelle Member

Oh wow thank u! What is control test? Not familiar w that. There is a bottle of control solution that was in my kit. I will be up till about midnight eastern time.

30. Olive & Paula

The old AT meters used the 08. If your 24 was when it was set at 08 it's a false read.

31. Janelle

Janelle Member

WHEW. Sure seems like it. I am keeping my eye on my cat Trooper and he appears and is behaving normally so far..

32. MrWorfMen's Mom

So will I. so I suggest you get a reading before bed and we'll decide if we are going to be having a pajama party or getting some ZZZZ's. :woot:

FWIW I think we'll be getting some ZZZ's.

33. Olive & Paula

I'm same time zone and I'm up well past midnight.

Have your instruction book handy. Put a new strip in meter. Put drop of control solution on strip like you would the blood. This is where you need the book. When you get the reading from solution test you hold the c button I think, check the book. Then the control symbol appears. Check that number against control numbers listed on vial of strips for cats.

I will be right back. I agree no PJ party for you tonight. Darn I'll have to find another to attend

Critter Mom, BJM and MrWorfMen's Mom like this.
  34. MrWorfMen's Mom

@Woodsywife Thanks for your help! Good to have other AT users around even if they migrated:woot:!.

Critter Mom likes this.
  35. Janelle

Janelle Member

Ok, got inst book and meter. Will go get solution and try that after I read instructions.

36. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Just catching this thread. When using the purple AlphaTrak 2 meter you ALWAYS set it to the code on the strip container. If you are having any trouble using the test solution put a drop on a metal teaspoon and "dip" the edge of the strip (once in the meter and ready to read) into the solution. The reading it gives should match the reading that is on the container of test strips, There will be a range printed on the container. As long as the reading you get falls within that range it is reading correctly.

Amy & Tommy and Critter Mom like this.
  37. Janelle

Janelle Member

OK, just used control slution and got reading of 146 mg/gl. Info in inst inert states proper reading is between 100-185 mg/dl for cats, so sounds like thats good?

38. Olive & Paula

It was getting to expensive with the way Smokey was taking sharp drops. And not being able to cash paychecks I had to cut somewhere. Human meter not bad at all.

Critter Mom and MrWorfMen's Mom like this.
  39. Tuxedo Mom

That number is within the range of codes for the strips, printed on the strip container so the meter is set to the right number.

Janelle likes this.
  40. MrWorfMen's Mom

:)Yep! You're good to go!

Janelle likes this.
  41. Tuxedo Mom

With the AlphaTrak2 (purple meter) anytime you use a new container of strips make sure the meter is set to the number on the strip container and do a control test.

42. Janelle

Janelle Member

whew! :) Any suggestions on when I should check his sugar again?

43. MrWorfMen's Mom

Janelle, I think the code 08 may have put things way out of range but just to be safe, please get a reading before heading off to LALALA land tonight and let us know what that number is so we can sleep too! Yes we worry about everybody's furkids here!:D

Critter Mom and Janelle like this.
  44. Mum of two felines

Mum of two felines Member

I get 141 to 145 on my control solution. Your alphatrax sounds like it's working! I have had 3 vials and have had to code my alphatrax 3 times :) You're doing great,

45. Janelle

Janelle Member

:) Oh my!!! How very kind of you all! I will wait till about 11:15 pm Eastern to check him again. it is now 10:06 pm. I am so grateful, I cannot express....

46. Tuxedo Mom

When I saw the 911 it scared the Heck out of me knowing what normal numbers for AT2 meters are. Thank goodness you were here Linda. What a shame the vet tech gave the wrong information!!!

The next test will probably be high since if I read correctly Mogs had suggested giving some syrup when this all started

47. Janelle

Janelle Member

I went and got the Karo, but did not give that to him since reading I took at 9:06 was 248 mg dl.

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  48. MrWorfMen's Mom

Yes, that's what I am expecting too Mary Ann. Mogs summoned me to the "party" 'cause she just got Saoirse home and is still feeling totally wasted from the last week or so she's gone through. Thanks for chiming in! :D

Critter Mom likes this.
  49. MrWorfMen's Mom

Ok but still with a reading of 248 I would not expect Trooper to be diving too quickly. Now we just have to hope that Trooper doesn't call my bluff!:cat:

50. Tuxedo Mom

Great then your reading should be an accurate one.

The older original AlphaTrak meters have to be coded with 07 in order to use the current newer AlphaTrak 2 strips, However the new AlphaTrak 2 (purple) meter is to be coded to whatever number is shown on the container of strips. You might want to tell the vet tech about their mistake so this does not happen to someone else, who may not belong to this forum.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  51. Tuxedo Mom

I saw Mogs post and was so glad you were here. She has had such a rough time lately and shouldn't have to handle a crisis (or potential one :) )

It is a good thing there are a decent number of AT2 users here

52. MrWorfMen's Mom

Janelle, it's quite the family here and we make sure EVERY KITTY is safe and their Beans (short for humans ) are not left alone to deal with any hypo or potential hypo situations.

@Tuxedo Mom Good point Mary Ann. I kept thinking the 08 didn't sound right but it didn't totally register with me. Gotta let supper settle a bit before my brain clicks in I guess. As for the AT meters, I am amazed by the number of new users recently. Been keeping tabs and need a new page in my notebook!

Oh my Menace alarm. Gotta go look after my sugar! Will check back in around 11:15 and await that pre ZZZ reading!

53. Olive & Paula

It should be in the range on the bottle of strips.

54. Olive & Paula

I just tended my kitties and set the feeder for the night. I'll be around 3-4 hrs yet.

@Janelle you get must be using the old meter. Next time you are there or speak with them. Make sure they know you have the newer one and coding is different. Hate to think what their other patients are doing.

55. Olive & Paula

You did well Janelle. Thumbs up to you.

56. Critter Mom

Relieved that everything seems to be OK, Janelle (anti-jinx).

Thank you @MrWorfMen's Mom, @Woodsywife, and @Tuxedo Mom for responding to the call for help. I managed to get Saoirse to eat a bit more for me.

Do you want me to take down the 911 now?

Mogs

Janelle likes this.
  57. Tuxedo Mom

You are most welcome Mogs. You can take the 911 down now and try to get some rest :bighug: :bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  58. MrWorfMen's Mom

Yes Mogs I think it's safe to take down the 911.

Glad to hear Saoirse has eaten for you. You have the magic touch with her and being in her own environment with those she loves will make things much more comfortable for her. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  59. MrWorfMen's Mom

@Critter Mom @Tuxedo Mom Just checked my list of kitty codes we are aware of and 08 is one of them. :confused: Interesting that Janelle got such a low number as I never expected the algorithms to be that different. Really interested to see what that pre-bedtime reading is now!

Critter Mom and Tuxedo Mom like this.
  60. Tuxedo Mom

I have had code 08 on some of my strips (in Canada). I believe that is one of the codes that you get on AT2 strips only in Canada. I have no idea if the strips in the US and Canada are made in the same place or if they come from different plants. Also it is possible the meters in Canada are set up different since they are set for mmol/l rather than mg/l. Interesting observation though.

ETA The most important thing is getting a test reading within the correct range of numbers as listed on the strip vial. I believe this range will always be the same. My vial shows 100-185 mg/l or 5.5-10.27 mmol/l. As long as the reading falls within the control solution range then it should be good.

Janelle likes this.
  61. Olive & Paula

Glad to hear Saoirse ate for you.

Critter Mom likes this.
  62. Mum of two felines

Mum of two felines Member

My vial that came with my AlphaTrax 2 was 08. The other 2 has been 37.

63. Critter Mom

911 now taken down from thread title.

Very interesting indeed. Unless it just happened to be a really wonky test. (On very rare occasions my Alphatrak 2 has thrown me some seriously out of whack readings.)

Mogs

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  64. Tuxedo Mom

It could be a combination of a wonky strip AND the wrong coding. Once I get some more AT2 strips I would like to do some playing around with codes ...just for fun :)

ETA This does show the importance of doing test solution testings with each new container of strips!

65. MrWorfMen's Mom

If you check your boxes of Freestyle and AT strips they are all manufactured in Ireland. Whether all the control testing to get the codes for the AT meter are done in Ireland or elsewhere is anybody's guess. According to my meter manual customer care for US and Canada are at the same number so likely in same location and under specs it says it reads either mmol or mg. So I don't know exactly how they differentiate between those of us in Canada, US, UK etc. Uk has a different customer service number but I guess that's to be expected.

@Critter Mom Yes, there has been the odd wonky reading here too and the odd bad strip that just wouldn't read at all , :banghead: so anything is possible. Isn't technology grand!?! Ohh! forgot being able to take the laptop to the kitchen.....nix that remark!

Tuxedo Mom and Critter Mom like this.
  66. Tuxedo Mom

Just to further hijack this thread...interesting thing I found out. The test solution for the FS Lite meter works fine with the AT2 meter. So the solutions are probably the same for the AT2 and the FS Lite and only the meter settings are different.

67. MrWorfMen's Mom

Absolutely! You gotta wonder why they make it so hard to get hold of the control solution for any meter!

68. MrWorfMen's Mom

That's too funny! I've been using AT control solution on the Freestyle strips and it works! I'm too am betting they are the same!

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  69. Tuxedo Mom

I got 2 bottles of FS Lite solution for free from the company and tried side buy side comparisons (as I am so inclined to do) with AT2 meter/AT2 strips with bothe solutions and AT2 meter/FS Lite strips with both solutions and they all were within range. I have spent a small fortune on strips on experimenting but I just can't help myself :smuggrin:

70. Olive & Paula

@Janelle , have you gotten another test?

71. MrWorfMen's Mom

I know that feeling all too well. I am still testing with both meters. I think I'm addicted!:woot:

Critter Mom and Tuxedo Mom like this.
  72. Tuxedo Mom

I don't see her on right now. I hope she comes back with the latest reading.

73. Janelle

Janelle Member

Just checked again and his GB was 234 at 11:17 pm eastern. Any thoughts as to whether or not I should give him insulin now or wait till the am?

74. Tuxedo Mom

Trooper's number is certainly safe to give insulin, but will you be able to do another test(s) tonite and will that mess up your schedule for giving insulin?

75. MrWorfMen's Mom

Janelle, you usually shoot every 12 hours so if you shoot now, are you going to be able to keep to a 12 hour schedule with the new shot time (i.e. 11:30am or is this going to mess with your life? If no problem, then yes you can give Trooper his shot. If yes, I suggest you hold off until tomorrow morning after a test and feeding providing his numbers are high enough for a shot and if there is any question, post here for some guidance. Usually for new folks without a lot of data, we recommend not shooting with any reading below 200 as long as your cat has not got any ketones or any history of Diabetic ketoacidosis. If there is a history, some insulin but at a reduced dose may be the better choice thus suggesting posting for guidance.

Critter Mom, Janelle and Tuxedo Mom like this.
  76. Janelle

Janelle Member

Thats what Im wondering too! His max dosage right now is 1 unit. I usually give him a half unit of Pro Zinc when his sugar is between 150-199.

77. MrWorfMen's Mom

Janelle, you hold the needle so if you are comfortable giving 0.5units, then do that. If you can stay up to test again around +3, then you could give 1u to test again and make sure Trooper is safe. I tend to err on the side of caution and without any data to look at it's impossible to tell you that 1u is OK.

78. Janelle

Janelle Member

I think I may give him a half unit tonight, then resume regular schedule in the am, around 7:45 am. I want to thank each and every one of you for all your assistance tonight! I was almost in tears when I saw the reading of 24 and had no clue what to do!!!! Mr Worfmen's Mom, your baby looks a lot like my Trooper. Handsome, black short hair. My Trooper is also an amputee. He really does live up to his name!

79. MrWorfMen's Mom

Janelle, if you give the insulin now, you can't give it again until around 11:30am tomorrow. You have a little flexibility but not that much with ProZinc!

Janelle likes this.
  80. Janelle

Janelle Member

Oh I see. I have to work tomorrow, so I cant stay up for 3 more hrs to check, so I will check him around 7:15 in the am. He is acting very normal, so I guess that will be the best way to go. I feel sure I will probably need to administer insulin in the am, based upon his legit readings tonight. My computer shut off suddenly (what can u expect from an 8 year old mac) so had to sign back on!

81. MrWorfMen's Mom

Janelle, you are more than welcome. We love sweet kitties and their parents and just want to help! My avatar is my Menace and she too lives up to her name and I love her for it!

I would suggest you print this out and hang it on your fridge or somewhere handy so if yu happen to encounter a low number in the future, you know how to respond to it.

I also suggest you set up a spreadsheet to track Trooper's readings so when you need assistance or guidance, there is data available to the folks here to see and give you reasonable suggestions. The instructions for the spreadsheet are here and if you have any problems, we can always set it up for you to get you started. I personally find it one of the best tools in my armoury.

Critter Mom, Janelle and Tuxedo Mom like this.
  82. MrWorfMen's Mom

Oh yes I forgot! How about a pic of Trooper when you get a spare moment! Love to see your sweetie!

83. Janelle

Janelle Member

Those are awesome ideas! Going to print this now and then sign off for the night. You folks are just God sends!! I hope I can repay the favor someday and play it forward!

Critter Mom likes this.
  84. Tuxedo Mom

If I am correct the last insulin Trooper had was around 7:30AM your time and it is about 11:30PM.

That sounds like the best plan. If you want to change the times you do the insulin, if an earlier time suits you better, you can certainly do that tomorrow morning.
    Linda is giving some excellent advice. Having a spreadsheet makes it easier for you to follow Trooper's progress and allows ready information for anyone to assist you with advice.

Janelle likes this.
  85. MrWorfMen's Mom

One last thing before we all hit the sack....(Oh Mary Ann may be up a little longer :p), you no doubt will see a much higher number tomorrow AM so don't panic. But until you get some data and understand the meter and see how Trooper is doing, maybe stick with the 0.5u for a few days just to get a baseline if you aren't around all day to watch him. Data is a godsend with our kitties! Sweet dreams all!

86. Tuxedo Mom

I am off to bed..shot time is just over 4 hours from now.

As Linda said without the shot tonight Trooper will most likely be higher, but not to panic. Just continue with the 1/2 unit until you have more data and your spreadsheet set up. Tomorrow you can post a new "thread" on the Feline Health forum(where you are now):

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/

Or you can post on the prozinc forum:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/prozinc-pzi.24/

Then you can see where you go from there. Have a good night :bighug:

87. MrWorfMen's Mom

Love your avatar! Trooper is indeed adorable and handsome. He does look a lot like my Menace! Are you the runner in the family? I think your avatar is a wonderful advertisement for a rescue group! Well I have got to go get some shut eye. Will be watching for you in the days to come!:D

88. Janelle

Janelle Member

Yes, there is a rescue group in Raleigh, NC called Safe Haven for Cats. A wonderful place for homeless kitties . They do have a 5k each year to raise funds. I like to work out, but sadly, Im not a great runner. I do enjoy that race and helping raise money for a great cause! Good night! Talk to you soon! :)

89. Critter Mom

I'm so glad that you posted for help, Janelle, and I'm even more glad that Trooper is doing fine. That's one handsome kitty you've got there, and a great avatar pic! :)

I see Linda has already given you the link to the hypo document. Make a written note on your printed that 68mg/dL is the lower limit of BG on an Alphatrak meter and the point where you need to intervene with honey/karo to bring blood glucose levels back up.

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.