? Cat suddenly begins biting during testing

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by sandscout, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sandscout

sandscout Member

Scout bit me several times when I was trying to get a sample from him for his PMPS tonite. A bite that went in, drew blood.
    I have tested him for 18 months and never had this. I’m not sure what to do. I wonder if he’s just had it with all the pokes.
    He had a biting problem after 4 teeth were removed in March, the vet and I were never able to figure out why. It subsided toward the end of summer.

Don’t know of any alternatives to try if this keeps up. I feel like I’m always on this site, asking for wisdom. So discouraged. I sure don’t know what to do about this. :banghead:
    Cant get a blood sample without pricking his ear- can’t reward him with treats because he’s on a strict diet, so not sure the best way to incentivize or reward him. If only there was a probe that could be inserted under the skin, like a microchip, to read his BG.

If anyone has any experience, bits of wisdom, I would so love to hear from you.
    Thanks,
    Susan

2. CandyH & Catcat

CandyH & Catcat Well-Known Member

there is, it's called the Freestyle Libre --- but it's expensive, most cats won't tolerate it, and it works for a max of 14 days

3. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Is he upset that you're picking him up?
    Since you say he's on a diet, maybe consider Purebites treats to entice him to behave again? No carbs, 5 calories per treat.

4. Myrtlesmum

Myrtlesmum Member

You have been testing a lot in the last 10 days.. I’d guess he’s had enough. I may be a bit controversial on this board but I don’t agree with frequent poking - if it was me and someone was coming at me with a sharp needle every few hours I would probably bite you too! ;) If I was you, to try to get an idea of how he is travelling, I would always test am & pm but maybe only once during the day at different times each day - that way you would still build up a curve but it would just take you a few extra days to get a full picture but kitty isn’t being harassed as much. Just the way I would do it.

5. CandyH & Catcat

CandyH & Catcat Well-Known Member

if you need to test, don't have anyone who could add a third hand, try clipping a claw type ponytail holder (or several) to his scruff
    works a bit like mama cat grabbing him there

try it out on your finger, some "claws" are too sharp, some aren't strong enough to make the cat behave, they've worked for me

[​IMG]

6. sandscout

sandscout Member

@Myrtlesmum yes I was thinking this exactly! It’s been way too much. I’ll try this.

Becky & Baby Girl GA likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.