? Cat Treat Recommendations

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bacio, Sep 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bacio

Bacio Member

Sometimes, when I'm home-testing kitty's BG, I get a reading that's not scary-low (aka syrup/honey time) but low enough that I want to give him a little something to eat--a "buffer" if you will. Something I can give him that will send his numbers in a positive direction without totally throwing off his BG.

In these moments, I have been giving him several Temptations cat treats.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a snack/treat? Thank you for your time! :joyful:

2. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hi there. I am using Stella and Chewys Chic Chic Chicken dinner, dehydrated raw chicken. I don't rehydrate it, I just give a small piece out of the bag. He loves them! Also, I give a pinch of Bonita Flakes. Both of these are all protein treats.

ETA: Both of these I use for testing treats. If he is lowing lower early in the cycle and I want to make sure he's okay because I am not going to be home, I give more than one piece of the S & C.

Bacio likes this.
  3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Usually, if they're not too low (under 50 on a human meter) we'll just give a snack of their regular low carb canned food if we need them to stabilize or just go up a little

The Temptations treats are too high carb and the dry "kibble" kinds of treats take too long to break down and get into the bloodstream and can take awhile to work their way out again

Here's a List of Low Carb treats you can use for things like "pokey treats" too

4. Bacio

Bacio Member

Thank you for the info. I will look into these "pokey-treats" so that I have a safe reward to give daily.

Wouldn't I want something that is high-carb though, if it's just an occasional treat and the purpose is to make BG rise?

Zephyr's Brother likes this.
  5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

It depends on how low they are...we don't usually "intervene" with high carb until they drop below 50. If they drop below 50, what most of us use is Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers (pop the top on the can, put it back and "squeeze" the gravy out into a bowl) because it gets into their bloodstream fairly quickly (faster than dry anything)...the gravy is where most of the carbs are....then we retest in about 20-30 minutes ....if they're above 50 at that point, we want to get at least 1 more test in an hour later to make sure they stay above 50 before we relax on testing.

If we just want them to stabilize, or just come up a little, we usually just give a teaspoon or 2 of their regular low carb food

It really would help if you'd transfer your numbers from your spreadsheet to ours too...we're all used to the spreadsheet program we use and know how to look for "patterns" in how they're reacting to dose adjustments.....if you have trouble with it, just ask!

SpecklesandMe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.