catnip jelly

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by RobbiesMom, Sep 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobbiesMom

RobbiesMom Member

I was telling a woman I work with about Robbie's hypo and that I had a hard time getting the maple sugar in him cause he obviously didn't like it or know what it was. She very sweetly brought in a jar of homemade catnip (from her garden) jelly . It is all organic and is LOW SUGAR - however being jelly it's still plenty sweet and I"m sure would be useful in a HYPO incident. Obviously I can't and won't give him any on a regular basis (although I'm thinking of seeing if Roxie likes it just as a test to see if it's something viable). She made about 5 jars and is going to see if the local pet store would be interested in selling them for her (she couldn't make a smaller batch and has no use for it herself). Just thought I'd get feed back here - I have NO idea if this would impact them the same as catnip that hasn't been cooked etc. but my guess is it might still have some effect. Certainly the smell wouldn't make them pull their heads away like Robbie did with maple syrup AND honey.

2. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Interesting - let us know how Roxie likes it -- and taste it yourself -- Catnip is in the Mint family

3. RobbiesMom

RobbiesMom Member

not so sure I'll like it but the woman who made it said she tasted it along the way and it was (naturally) minty to some extent but "earthier" - will keep you posted.

4. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

that's pretty cool, not to mention clever.

5. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

wow...that's a neat idea. hope they like it

celi & binks

6. RobbiesMom

RobbiesMom Member

if anyone wants some - she's got 6 more jars... I think $5 per covered her costs so maybe she'd sell them for $8 ??? - not sure about how this would work and don't want to break any FDMB rules so jump in here if I am- but if anyone is seriously interested someone tell me how to help facilitate that. Since she made it for my cat to be nice and is sitting there with extra jars I'd like to help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.