Cat's appetite declining

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Marty, Mar 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marty

Marty Member

I posted this in another thread I started but figured I'd separate it so it doesn't get buried. I'm looking for advice regarding my cat's eating. Sunday night he threw up a little, and yesterday morning he started eating less of the RX dry food. He was at 1/2 cup, but he's been gradually eating less. Yesterday morning he ate 3/4 of his portions, so we gave him half of his Lantus dose (1 unit instead of 2) as the vet instructed. Last night he ate half of his portion so we didn't dose him at all. This morning he ate about 1/4 - 1/2 of his portion. Since we haven't had a successful home test yet, I am nervous about changing his diet. I have Friskies Classic Pates ready for him once we get some ample testing completed, but I don't know what to do in the meantime.

Back story: He was diagnosed with diabetes about 2 or 3 weeks ago. He was prescribed 2 units of Lantus every 12 hours and dry prescription cat food. I have just started to attempt home testing but haven't gotten any readings yet.

Anyone have any advice?

2. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Are you having trouble getting the blood sample to do the test? I was too when I was trying in the ear, I use the paw pads and it’s much easier for me, Bella doesn’t want me to bother his ears. Try that and see if it’s tolerated more

3. Marty

Marty Member

We've poked but gotten no blood. We're going to spend some time warming his ear up more tonight. Hopefully that makes the difference.

But if he doesn't eat much again tonight I'm worried we might need to take him to the vet since he hasn't had much insulin in the past 24 hours.

4. Bellasmom

You have tried paw pad?

5. Marty

Marty Member

Not yet. I've read it's a bit unsanitary since they walk around in the liter box. Thoughts?

6. Bellasmom

And there is no way my cat would eat 1/2 cup at once, my cat never eats a lot at one time, how much is the kitty supposed to have a day

7. Bellasmom

I use alcohol wipe before and after

8. Marty

Marty Member

1/2 cup twice a day. The first couple of weeks he scarfed it down with no problems. Now he eats for a minute or two and then walks away

9. Bellasmom

i can tell you my cat doesn’t eat a whole cup a day, I think since he is eating, I would work on getting the BG tests and get him switched to the wet, I’m new to this as well and I’m sure others will help as well

10. Marty

Marty Member

Cool, thanks. I'm going to try the paw pad tonight and hopefully that can give us an idea where we are. I'll try to post the results after.

11. Bellasmom

They say on here that 3 or 4 smaller meals is better, so that’s what I do and I don’t expect a lot each time to be eaten, some not all

12. Marty

Marty Member

For now I'm nervous to change what the vet told us until I get some home testing done

13. Bellasmom

I meant after testing begins, I’m sorry I didn’t specify that.

14. Marty

Marty Member

We got our first reading! He freaked out a little but it was 427. He's eating right now so we'll see how he does

Bellasmom likes this.
  15. Marty

Marty Member

He finished all his food and got his full shot, so we'll try to get another reading later.

Bellasmom likes this.
  16. Booger's Mom

Booger's Mom Member

My Booger was diagnosed on 2/20/18. He was prescribed Vetsulin and Purina ProPlan DM. At first he would eat this very well and didnt even want to touch the Cat Chow Naturals when my other cats were eating. A few days later, I noticed he didnt want to eat as much of the DM as before and rather snack on it through out the day. I honestly think it is just the food. At first they are like, wow this is good! and then they are like, well this isnt as good as I thought anymore. lol

Bellasmom likes this.
  17. Marty

Marty Member

Seems that way to me too. But tonight for some reason he was back on board with it. Fingers crossed things keep going smoothly until we get a few more readings and then we can change his diet

18. Booger's Mom

Booger's Mom Member

I switched mine to the wet DM. He eats it fairly well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.