Caturday Old Timers: Cyn and Cosmo... Danger too.

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Cyn and Cosmo, Feb 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cyn and Cosmo

Cyn and Cosmo Member

Hi everyone,
    We're doing fine here in Boston. Just cold. And more cold. Snow on top of snow, with layers of ice in between. Joy.

I still miss Cosmo terribly. I'm glad I have a lot of pictures of him, but I miss his smell, his headbutts, and his hugs.

Day to day, Danger and I have settled into a nice routine. He sleeps under the covers with me, pretty much the entire night. He has discovered a passion for baked ham, but Jojo tells me he cannot have too much... b/c it has too much sodium and the evil nitrates or something. He had a nice play session with a felted jingly ball in the hallway today, and 2-3 times a week, he likes to chase my feet under the bedcovers.

I made an appt for him to see Dr B at Angell. He's just too skinny and I'd like to have as much time as possible with my baby. Dr B agreed that he was too thin (he is JUST over 7 lbs). His labs have showed early renal disease, but Dr B says that CKD doesn't account for how thin Danger is right now. He's not hyperthyroid (we've checked this three times at the other vet). Dr B did another blood panel, plus B-12 and folate. Everything came back normal or as expected (some slightly elevated BUN and creat...). Talked with Dr B this morning and we agreed to do an abdominal U/S to see if we can get more info, diagnostically. He said that (can't remember which one... either the B-12 or the folate) can indicate disease of the ilium, but that was normal.

If U/S is also inconclusive, we'll prolly do a small dose of pred. Carefully though, b/c D has a slight heart murmur. We agreed not to do a scope, b/c it's so invasive and a little too... aggressive for an almost 17 yr old cat.

A funny: when I told Dr B that Danger sits on me all the time and snuggles with me under the covers, he said, very gently, "well, Cynthia, you know... cats think abou things differently than we do.." and I interrupted and said, well, I know it's MOSTLY b/c he's cold. He's used to having his brother to keep warm. Dr B laughed. But also, Danger has moderate arthritis in his back knees. So glad i bought him that heated cat bed.

2. Barbara and tuffy

Barbara and tuffy Well-Known Member

Nice to see you on Old Timer/Caturday. Guess we all miss Cosmo, he was a fixture here and you to Cyn. You certainly have had your share of snow. My GD lives in Boston and she is tired of it now.

Hope you get some answers as to why Danger is thin. Please keep us posted. Good luck with the US. hope it provides some answers.

3. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

it's good to see a condo from you. We all miss Cosmo, though not as much as you and Danger do. I hope you can get to the bottom of what is going on, but I'm glad it sounds like Danger is feeling ok. It seems like most of my older cats have gotten skinny, and sometimes there hasn't been a discernable reason for it.

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

It's good to see a condo from you guys! Aside from being a bit too skinny, it sounds like Danger is in fine shape and a snuggler.

5. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Cyn, I know how much you miss Cosmo, but we have to remember that our GAs are in a good place and that they are never far from us. Sending good vibes vines to Danger and happy to hear that he is feeling good, even if thinner than you would like. Lots of older beans get thinner, too!! It's supposed to be healthier.

Have a good weekend in snowy Boston,

Ella & Rusty

6. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

Hi, Cyn! Happy to hear about Danger snuggling with you. He sounds pretty happy, all things considered. I hope you have luck figuring out what's going on medically.

7. Michelle and Doodle

Michelle and Doodle Member

Hi (((Cyn))) I miss Cosmo too :(
    I'm very glad you and Danger are having some good quality snuggle time though. That's good stuff...
    Give him scritches from me -- and I hope you can figure out a simple answer to the weight issue.

8. Janice & Johnny

Janice & Johnny Well-Known Member

Good to hear from you, Cyn. I remember your Cosmo, what a sweetie. I'm glad Danger is keeping you warm and appropriately snuggled.

9. jan and Hep and sara (GA)

jan and Hep and sara (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Cynthia,

I miss Cosmo too, but glad that Danger is keeping you warm at night. Hope everything goes well with the guy. I have an old guy too, and he is on the thin side two.

I know the ham is very salted, but maybe at his age you could give just a smidgen now and than. He enjoys it so.

Take care of yourself.

jan and sara

10. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Hi Cynthia. It's nice to see your Caturday Condo. I think about and miss Cosmo, too. I'm glad Danger is doing pretty well, and is snuggiling with you and happy. Most of my old kitties became thin and the vets could never find anything wrong. I hope if there is something to find that can make him gain a little weight back, that you find it. Hugs to you ..
    and good luck at the vet.

11. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Hi Cyn! Nice to see you here...I cant even imagine how much you miss Cosmo, and we do too here--
    And also miss your input & knowledge--Hey, even beans get thin when they get older--I figure by the time I'm 80 I'll be very shapely!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Sendinh Good Health vines to Danger & Hugs to you--Thanks for all you have done here!

12. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Hi Cynthia! Glad to hear that Danger is still doing well :smile: Hope Dr. B can figure out why Danger is skinny. Dr. B loves Leroy and calls him a troublemaker :lol:

13. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

Hi, guys! i didn't know cosmo...but wishing you the best of luck with Danger.

also want to express my admiration and gratitude for how you watch out for everyone on the board...bringing eyes when we need them, and stepping in to help guide us.
    what a wonderful thing to know you've got our backs, Cyn!

celi & binks

14. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

Wishing you the best in finding out what might be the cause of why Danger is so thin best to you both from Lisa and Do Lou

15. Cyn and Cosmo

Cyn and Cosmo Member

Thanks everyone.

It was sorta good (validating, at least) to have Dr B tell me that he's really too thin. He said something like "he is too thin, even for a skinny cat."

I'll let everyone know what the U/S results indicate and how we're going to move forward. Most likely treat for IBD, i think. I hope we don't find any evidence of the C. :sad:

Danger was a real sweetheart at Angell with Dr B. No hisses at all. I wonder if he recognizes the smell from all the times Cosmo brought the smell home.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.