? Cerenia dose

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Donna & Doogle, Dec 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Donna & Doogle

Donna & Doogle Well-Known Member

I had to take Doogle to the ER tonight because he has been vomiting all day. We they wanted to keep him but I couldnt afford it. So they did a quick 200ml SQ and gave him .4ml of Cerenia. Does that sound right? He is going to his vet in the morning. He is blocked up (like he was 2 years ago) and dehyrated. No insulin tonight that is for sure but I just want to see is that enough Cerenia to get past the vomiting so I can at least get him to drink some tuna water with Miralax.

2. Andy & Pimp

Andy & Pimp Well-Known Member

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Sure hope Doogle feels better soon Donna!!

Keep us updated!

4. Chris & China (GA)

Oral

For the oral form, a commonly recommended dose is 1mg per kg (2.2lbs) of body weight. Safety, pharmacokinetics and use of the novel NK-1 receptor antagonist maropitant (Cerenia) for the prevention of emesis and motion sickness in cats (2008) Hickman MA, Cox SR, Mahabir S, Miskell C, Lin J, Bunger A,McCall RB Journal of Veterinary Pharmacology and Therapeutics 31(3) pp220-9 states "The results indicate that maropitant is an effective, well tolerated and safe anti-emetic in cats at a dose of 1.0 mg/kg." A 10 lb cat (4.5 kg) cat would therefore receive 4.5 mg.Most people seem to buy the 16mg size and divide it as appropriate (into quarters for a 10 lb cat).

The pills should not be given in Pill Pockets or mixed with food as this may stop them being properly absorbed in the cat's body, but some people do give them this way. Many people place the medication in a gelcap in order to hide the taste.

Injectable

For the injectable form, the European Medicines Agencystates that it is given "once daily under the skin (1ml per 10 kg bodyweight) for up to five days." Since the injectable form is 10mg/ml strength, this means that the standard dosage is 1mg per kg bodyweight, the same as the oral dosage Therefore a 10 lb (4.5kg) cat would receive 4.5mg a day, or 0.45 ml.

Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook states that 0.5 to 1 mg per kg bodyweight can be given for up to five days. This would mean that a 10 lb (4.5kg) cat would receive 2.25-5.00 mg a day, or 0.225-0..5ml a day.

5. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

I just got these bonita tuna flakes…they are going nuts for them! I was looking for something to reward after all my poking and prodding now I am at the mercy of the howling--maybe Doogle would eat them? They are light and easy to eat -0 carb.
    Hope Doogle feels better soon…. My guy is 10-12 pounds depending on the day-he gets .5 or .6 --- I usually have to inject for 3-5 days to break the cycle when he flares up but it does work pretty good.

6. Donna & Doogle

Donna & Doogle Well-Known Member

well I have tried to even get him to lick tuna and he doesnt want it. The vomiting has stopped for now but he is still nauseous. I am wondering should I try and give him something for pain.

7. jayla-n-Drevon

Mine don't like tuna very much either (1 likes the juice) but they both love these--might be worth a try? I also do baby food when they are not wanting food--I use gerber--I know it has corn starch but when thy don't eat it is more frightening to me than a little higher bg--I warm it and they like to lick off my finger… it is usually a small amount -mine love the ham we get gerber 2 stage all meat-
    He is probably exhausted from the vomiting- are you interested in holistic meds at all?? a prescription dose of arnica homeopathic may help him with no side effects ….
    Just have to crush it in the envelope and pour in mouth (no food or water 10 min before or after) works wonders for my guy- You can get it at a health store as well but the prescription dose works faster and lasts much longer-(in my experience) If you tell the vet the exact symptoms if trained in homeopathy they will get you the right homeopathic for your baby. Arnica is for pain is why I suggested it-

8. Chris & China (GA)

From Tanya's site

The injectable form is approved for the treatment of vomiting and nausea in cats (and dogs) in Europe and the USA. In Europe, injectable maropitant is also approved for travel sickness in cats. Treatment for visceral pain with the new NNK-1 receptor antagonist maropitant in cats(2011) Boscan P, Monnet E, Twedt D & Nyiom S, found that maropitant may also be an effective painkiller, so it may be a good choice for a vomiting cat with pancreatitis.

Maropitant only needs to be given once a day and does appear to be very effective for some cats, usually taking effect within an hour. Chronic use of maropitant for the management of vomiting and inappetance in cats with chronic kidney disease: a blinded placebo-controlled clinical trial (2014) Quimby JM, Brock WT, Moses K, Bolotin D, Patricelli K Journal of Feline Medicine & Surgery 21. pii: 1098612X14555441 found that there was a significant reduction in vomiting in CKD cats given maropitant; however it did not seem to improve appetite.

Some people find maropitant works better for their cats than ondansetron, so if you are not finding ondansetron to be as effective as you hoped, I would try maropitant instead.

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  9. Anitafrnhamer

Anitafrnhamer Member

Zofran (Ondansetron) is actually more effective if you can get a script from your vet for it. Dosage 4mg. With "Cerenia" you can dose up to 1/2 tablet (8 mg) if the vomiting is really bad. I would also ask your vet about giving a Cerenia injection which is more potent than the oral form.

10. jayla-n-Drevon

Hi--
    I just wanted to add that cerenia injectable may sting…. I keep it in the refrigerator (helps with the sting) and I inject after I give him fluids right into the fluids and he doesn't flinch and it works just as well as if injected without fluids--the first time I injected I did not know it stings and he was not happy with me at all-The pills are good but if he is vomiting I try not to give oral meds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.