? Change to Fancy Feast Classic Pates?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jeff D / Sketch, Aug 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff D / Sketch

Jeff D / Sketch Member

I'm just wondering if any members beside me are noticing a change in texture and moisture of the Fancy Feast Classic Pate (mostly in chicken and liver and chicken) foods? There seems to be a much higher level of moisture or juice or almost gravy in the foods. I have been using the posted food chart with the chicken and liver and chicken being my "go to's" because of the low carbs. I am concerned that the change in consistency may be changing the carb levels. I sent an inquiry email to Fancy Feast (Purina) but have not received a reply.
    Anyone else notice or heard of anything?

2. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

I've noticed some of my cases have much uh "juicier" pates that fall apart easier. Someone mentioned some of the cases are made in the U.S. and others in France. I've been receiving a mixture of both from Amazon and Walmart, I think the ones from France are more gravy-like from what I've noticed. Interested to see what Purina has to say about it.

Jeff D / Sketch likes this.
  3. Jeff D / Sketch

Jeff D / Sketch Member

So I'm curious if you have noticed any increase in BG readings when feeding the "juicier" version? If its a gravy I have to think it is raising the carb content some. I've gotten some from Chewy and my local store and have noticed the "best by" dates on the wetter seems to be Apr and May 2021. I had some that was best buy date of Feb 2021 and it was the less juicy texture.
    I've sent the email twice and never have gotten a reply. I spoke with Chewy and asked if they were aware of anything..they said no but there had been a few mentions of the change in texture. Maybe I'll try calling Purina as they do have an 800 # but I'll probably just get a customer serv rep that wouldn't know but "will forward on my concern"

CandyH & Catcat likes this.
  4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I reached out to Purina once, and it took them awhile, but they did eventually respond.

5. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

When I was feeding FF I always noticed subtle differences from case to case; differences in texture, moisture and apparently flavor because my cats didn't like some of them. If you're also seeing differences in BG readings that's troubling.

6. Julie and Honey

Julie and Honey Well-Known Member

Some of the combo boxes they are distributing now are manufactured in France (they could not keep up with US demand with US only production) and those generally have more liquid and tend to be creamier when mixed than their US counterparts. I did a side by side ingredient comparison and there are slight differences in the ingredients and quantities.

The French manufactured cans will have 4 lines of coding on bottom of can and I see an “FR” somewhere in the coding.
    The US version only has 2 lines of coding on bottom of can.

As far as I know this is only on some of the 24 and 30 packs, the box itself will say something like ”manufactured in France, for US distribution”
    Whereas the US produced boxes will just say something like manufactured in US.

7. Julie and Honey

Should not affect the carb content, I was thinking the same thing, but any difference with ingredients is negligible. My cat actually prefers the French version, it is much creamier when mixed up. Leave it to the French to make better tasting food, even for cats, lol. Think it has more broth, so probably tastes better.

8. Jeff D / Sketch

Jeff D / Sketch Member

Thanks for the info. The kitty in my my post is my late pal Sketch that passed in Oct. I have just adopted a FIV kitty from the shelter (Oliver) I notice Honey is FIV also. Any tips for me? I am aware of the teeth and gums attention. Do they do and special treatment regiment for dental? Oliver's breath and inspection indicates he needs some dental....that said my other post regarding Oliver has me trying to address his diabetes issue first. Feel free to read it and lend an opinion. Thanks

9. Julie and Honey

I replied on other post about sugar because it was related...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.