? Changes to formula for Fancy Feast pates?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by jacereske, Nov 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jacereske

jacereske Member

I saw something about this in a feline diabetes group on Facebook, but could not get any details. Apparently the formula for some of the pates has changed and the carb counts are different?

Does anyone have info on this?

thanks,
    Jeanette

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

3. jacereske

jacereske Member

4. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Jeanette, the company claim that no significant changes have been made in the FF pates and that carb values are unchanged. All I can tell you is that Squallie's BG started to go up, and all four of my cats suddenly started having stomach upsets; when I switched to another food all issues resolved. I now feed Purina Pro Plan True Nature, they are very low in carbs and all my cats like them. They are a little pricier than FF but not by much, maybe a couple of dollars per case.

Nat & Fluffy and Critter Mom like this.
  5. Nat & Fluffy

Nat & Fluffy Member

Do you know what the carb content of the Purina Pro Plan True Nature Grain Free Turkey & Chicken as compared to FF Turkey & Giblets? :O I think I might do a switch too!

Squalliesmom likes this.
  6. Squalliesmom

By my calculations, they run from 1.66 % carbs to 2.27 % carbs. Squallie's BG has come down A LOT since he started them! Take a look at his spreadsheet, you'll see what I mean.

Nat & Fluffy likes this.
  7. Nat & Fluffy

Nat & Fluffy Member

@Squalliesmom :arghh: I need to get on that!!! Thank you!!

Squalliesmom likes this.
  8. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know the phosphorus % of this food ?

Squalliesmom likes this.
  9. racn1320

racn1320 Member

Ive had no stomach issues with my cat,she still eats ff like normal. Have the carbs gone up with several people or is it still the same? Id hate to start back over and get her on a new food

10. Squalliesmom

I'm guessing they are higher than FF pates but I'm not really sure.

11. underdawg

underdawg Member

How many carbs are in Purina Pro Plan True Nature Grain Free Turkey & Chicken ? I don't see it in the food chart. Some of mine are throwing up F F Turkey and Gib. Thanks!

12. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

We have been trying to get true numbers from Purina, but they are not being very cooperative. From the little info we can get from them, the carbs appear to be low, the phosphorus a little too high for a cat on a Phos restricted diet.

13. underdawg

underdawg Member

Thanks. I think the FF is mking my diabetic cat throw up and my crystal cat have loose poops.

14. Alison & Sarge

Alison & Sarge Member

Purina tells me nothing has changed but my cats disagree. After buying four+ cases of FF Turkey & Giblets every month for nearly 3 years I had to give it up in October. Sarge made two trips to the vet before I got smart and pulled the T&G. If I gave it back the vomit and diarrhea issues returned. All three cats shortly started refusing FF Chicken Classic too. I'm in a mad scramble to find something all three boys can and will eat again. At the moment I am mixing 9Lives Turkey & Giblets with 1/3 of a can of Wild Calling Trottin Tommy. The boys love the Wild Calling but it must be rich. I can't get above a 1/2 can in the mix without someone getting loose poop. Sarge is also starting to lose interest in the 9Lives and seems to want the FF Chicken again but his numbers don't seem to like it anymore. I'm thinking of giving ProPlan True Nature a go but it is another Purina product (and the trust is kind of broken after $400 in vet bills, multiple issues reported here from others and a nothing changed from Purina). What's a cat gal to do??

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
    MiCo likes this.
  15. racn1320

racn1320 Member

I finally just recieved an email from purina saying nothing has changed except the labeling.

16. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Have the nutritional analysis values on the label changed at all?

Mogs

17. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA) Well-Known Member

that is what makes me not want to use pro plan, both FF and ProPlan are Purina foods.

18. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Perhaps this isn't a case of changed formulas. Manufacturers have nothing to gain by not telling the truth about ingredients. After all, the US government allows manufactures a 6 month grace period before they have to change the labels. I'm beginning to wonder if a common ingredient or ingredients are being sourced from someplace new.

Just thinking out loud...

19. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

I have been wondering this same thing, just was hesitant to suggest it, thank you Jill

Squalliesmom likes this.
  20. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

That thought crossed my mind, too (for previously OK foods on BOTH sides of the Atlantic!).

Mogs

21. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

Just letting everyone know I am now feeding 9 lives, Meaty Pate with Real Chicken. The carb values were 2.6. All I know for sure is that Shaak's BG went back down to the 70's. I am saying a prayer of thanks to Jesus for FDMB.

22. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

While I think it is very true that sometimes ingredients are sourced in different places, and that can change how it tastes to a cat, pet food manufacturers lie to us all the time about ingredients and the FDA does nothing about it (see link below). But, your statement is correct and many of us found that out a few years ago about Wellness and how the same foods differed based upon the plant where they were manufactured and the local sourcing.

The Very Private and Very different ingredients of Pet Food
    Truth About Pet Food Food Tests (specifically look at the Guaranteed Analysis page)
    Pet Fooled

If you are interested in browsing more articles on the topic of the “honesty" of pet food manufacturers, you can look through the Truth About Pet Food News or request to join the newsletter email list. I no longer put my trust in commercial pet food.

An email from them would not result in me trusting that nothing has changed except the label. For one, the customer service folks are not always the most knowledgeable. I can base this on fact from times I have spoken to them and received emails and then received something different from another person in the company. One case in point is the type of montmorillonite clay in Nature’s Variety Instinct. Customer service reps contradicted each other on whether it was sodium or calcium.....and there is a difference.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  23. Squalliesmom

Marje, I agree with everything you've said; I don't trust them at all! Between genuine lack of knowledge, confusion, and outright attempts to purposefully mislead (most of us call that lying) I don't think anyone should put a lot of faith in what they tell us. I get Susan Thixton's newsletters, too!

Marje and Gracie and Tuxedo Mom like this.
  24. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

It was almost 10 years ago when the melamine/cyanuric acid scandal came to light with thousands of cats and dogs dying from acute kidney failure. I started following a few forums to try to find a food that was safe to feed and every day more and more brands and types were added to the "bad" list. It took many of the pet food companies months before they did official recalls on their foods, with more and more pets falling sick. The further I dug into the pet food industry the more alarmed I became. At that time and point many of the big name and smaller label foods were all being made by one private label manufacturer..Menu Foods, who has since been bought out by Simmons Pet Care. Foods anywhere from Iams to Dollar Store brands were all produced at the same plants, just done on different runs. It was a very scary eye-opening experience for me that led me to do my own home-made food for my kitties. Although some of the bigger name pet food companies have changed and now have their own plants, the behind the scenes revelations are the same. Personally I don't trust much of what a pet food company has to say, although the smaller independent companies with more specialized foods seem to put more effort into being transparent with their products.

25. Shorty

Shorty Member

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.