Changing from PZI to ????

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Babee's mom, Aug 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Babee's mom

Babee's mom Member

Hello all,

Sorry for the cross-posting. I think I should have posted here first.

I haven't posted here for a long time. Babee has been on Idexx PZI for almost 2 yrs. We are on our last bottle and it expires in Oct 2010. My vet is no help in determining which insulin to try next. The vet says I could still use PZI from the local compounding pharmacy. I was thinking of Prozinc. I think you all have more experience than my vet. What would you all recommend? Babee started on Vetsulin right after DX and she didn't do well on it. I don't know what to do. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Kelly

2. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Kelly, FWIW I plan on using my expired PZI '10 till I run out. I will then switch to BCP PZI from TX. Have no intent of using Prozinc.

3. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Kelly,

If Babee is doing well on PZI Vet, you could switch to ProZinc or BCP PZI. I think they are close enough to PZI Vet that you could figure she will give you similar results on those. Personally I would stay away from a locally compounded one, but there may be some who use those successfully, I'm not sure.

If she isn't doing well on PZI though, I'd consider Lantus or Lev.

There are several on the PZI forum now who have switched from PZI Vet to ProZinc, so you may get some good feedback over in PZI Ville. You could also post to see if anyone still has any vials left they could send you - may still be a little floating around. I'm planning on using mine past the expiration date as long as it continues to look good and gives consistent results, so if you still have plenty left in the vial, I wouldn't rush to switch necessarily.

4. Babee's mom

Babee's mom Member

I only have about 1/4 of the bottle left. It will be gone before the end of October. Is BCP PZI compounded? Is there a difference in BCP PZI and PZI compounded at a local pharmacy?

Thanks for the replies.

5. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Many people here use/used BCP.....trusted compounding pharmacy in TX. They also will give you the PZI in a U-40, U-50, and U-100 strength. Might be easier to stick with the U-40 as that is what we are all used to using with the IDEXX. If your vet would contact them, they will send him a free 5ml vial to use first. Not sure if it would be a U-40.......would have to check on that first.

6. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Well, BCP in Houston has been compounding PZI for years where a local firm may have less experience.

I used BCP PZI for several months with Norton before he passed away, and was pleased with the results (after ~18 months on Humulin N).

Since we adopted Tiggy and then Rusty, we've been using Levemir

7. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The BCP PZI is made with 100% bovine insulin. Many times local pharmacies compound PZI by using human recombinant insulin. The resulting insulin is more like ProZinc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.