? Ches the red - electrolytes / bowels

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by AJay, Aug 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AJay

AJay Member

Couple of questions in the long saga of Chester. Thank you for your patience :)

Last night he chomped into some high carb food - not ideal, but at least he kept it down / in. Any that did come out in loose faeces wasn't proportional to what went in..

I monitored him thru the night.

However I haven't seen him do much in the trays since - or drink much.

Twice now I've given him potassium supplement and he's rejected / thrown up.

He's still on fluids, tho hydration seems to be holding this morning.

Are there any electrolytes I can give him / advisable? He's quiet but he's had a scratch on a log outside. I thought he might b a bit bored / depressed inside. He's perked up since being out.

Ideas? xx

2. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

what were his numbers like over night?

AJay likes this.
  3. AJay

AJay Member

I'll get you the complete set shortly. Ches wanted to go for a walk and is camped out under a bush lol

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

It's good that he's interested in being outdoors. Any food he keeps down is the right food for now. Small positive signs. I don't know enough about potassium supplementation to offer advice.

5. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

AJay likes this.
  6. AJay

AJay Member

Sorry this has taken so long - A young man needed some persuasion to come back in from his walk. In that time he has had a wee and bowel movement. Both of which he dug a hole for and buried after - something he hasn't been doing. :) His faeces were loose, but had a bit of form to them.

Ive been chatting to Linda @MrWorfMen's Mom about Ches's numbers as they were a bit bouncy once we adjusted the dose and I found something he would eat. The problem was it was high carb :( But he ate it and it stayed inside him instead of making a quick exit without touching the sides as everything else has been :rolleyes::oops:

I still don't have my spreadsheet working / synching with my pc and really haven't had the time or brainspace to tackle it :(

PMPS 14.4 2.75u
    +2. 20.2
    +3. 9.3 (2 teaspoons of Royal Canin Digest given (19% :( )
    +4. 17.2
    +7. 16.0
    AMPS 24.0 (3/4 pouch of Applaws (pumpkin low carb) 2.75u
    +2. 13.8
    +4. 13.3 Fluid and Applaws

7. Kris & Teasel

Overall his BGs are lower in range and that's good. You've found food he'll eat and will stay in - that's good too. He wants to be outdoors - also good. The list of small steps forward is getting longer. Carbs in food - not an issue right now. You can dose around that. Encouraging signs. :)

8. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Hugs and more prayers to you and beautiful Chester , Ajay :). Things are going in the right direction , just focus on these successes :) :bighug::bighug::bighug:

9. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Good going Chester. Baby steps first.

AJay likes this.
  10. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Sounds like Chester is feeling better, that's such good news :)

11. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I'm so glad to hear that Chester is doing better! Sounds like he's really taking an interest in life, and that's a HUGE positive step!

What potassium supplements have you tried? THIS is the one I use, I just sprinkle the little scoopful onto Squallie's food and mix it in, he doesn't even know it's there. It also comes in a gel form, but I'm not sure you can get it in the UK. He liked the gel just fine, too, but it was expensive and had some sugars in it, so we get the powder.

12. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

13. MrWorfMen's Mom

What did he have food wise today? Is he still eating well and keeping it down and in the other end? Is AJay sure she didn't give a furshot. It happens and that poor woman must be absolutely pooped! If she can check ketones, that would be my first concern. With numbers like that I think we should consider another shot at no later than 8 hours. Maybe even 6 if AJay can monitor. Man I wish we were closer so we could help her out!

TempestsMum likes this.
  14. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

He's had some applaws. He got into dried animal treats (guessing high salt) aboutm2.5 hours ago. probably ate those. He's still eating ok. She isn't sure about the fs but doesn't think it was one. I've also said about keytones asap. I will let her know about that shot time - panicking here with me right now so couldn't post.

15. MrWorfMen's Mom

Ok if he got into some dried animal treats are they freeze dried protein or something more carb loaded? Sorry for all the questions but want to make sure we keep all factors in mind. If they were high carb, that could account f0r the BG. The Applaws is low carb so that is not an issue at all and I am so glad he is eating OK. How about his other activities? Lethargic more now than earlier. He seemed quite spunky earlier today. Has that changed at all?

16. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

They are dog treats- ? He's now more lethargic and grumpy

IMG_1202.JPG

Attached Files:

17. MrWorfMen's Mom

95% meat suggests there is something else in there and that might be the culprit. I'm of the opinion that another shot before 12 hours (possibly 6 to 8 hours) should be considered unless his numbers come back down between now and then. We need to get his BG under control to keep ketones out of the picture. Try to test for ketones and get another BG at +4 and see if he is still rising or dropping off. When did he get into the contraband or does AJay know? They can be sneaky!

18. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

About 2-3 hours ago he may have gotten them. She thinks and I think 6 hours would be better. I'm concerned about keytones too. Test again in 25 mins.

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  19. MrWorfMen's Mom

DAH! Just looked at back of treat label. Not high carb from what I can see.:( Ok I think we need to take a bit of an aggressive approach with this guy. Ok so 6 hours post shot would be early but if he's that high, I think it's worth giving insulin early to get his numbers down. Hopefully someone else will chime in before then so we can get a consensus of opinion. In the meantime if possible, a test for ketones is my main concern right now but we all know kitties don't pee on demand like the droolers and catching them in the Litter box can be a bit of a hit or miss proposition! I can only imagine the state AJay must be in. Send her my hugs please!:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Yong & Maury GA and TempestsMum like this.
  20. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Yeah but could still be full of something nasty. I will pass those on for you :)

21. MrWorfMen's Mom

Does AJay have any idea how much of the treats Chester consumed? If he ate a heaping amount, perhaps that would have put the BG up. I may be grabbing at straws but hope reigns eternal! :)

22. Kris & Teasel

I'm in agreement about dosing insulin earlier. The high BG is a greater concern than whatever might have put it up there. Ketone test as soon as it can be managed too. Lethargy and grumpiness could be from a BG spike. Where exactly is he in this cycle? +4?

23. MrWorfMen's Mom

Yes Kris we are just approaching +4. I was thinking about shooting at +6 if numbers allow which it looks like they will and if AJay if up for it. Thoughts? So glad you are here. This is unconventional and we really need a consensus of opinion! You've dealt with DKA whereas I have not (thank goodness!).

24. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Ok he's dropped but not much 27.1 (sorry a lot going on with this so couldn't update as fast as I'd have liked)

25. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Well there was a partner in crime involved so half the 60g bag was gone. So at most 30g

26. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

27. Kris & Teasel

Now - what dose to give seeing as there'll be a little of the earlier 2.75 u on board still? Here's a starting point: at 2 doses in 24 hours of 2.75 u each, the total amount of insulin would be 5.5 u. If shooting at 6 hour intervals, that's 4 doses in 24 hours. Taking the 24 hour amount of 5.5 u and dividing by 4 intervals of 6 hours, that 1.375 u per dose. Maybe give 1.25 u at +6?

Monitoring needed of course.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  28. Kris & Teasel

Hurray!

TempestsMum likes this.
  29. MrWorfMen's Mom

Seconding the YEAH! for no ketones! I'm game for another dose of 1.25u at +6 and monitoring but I am concerned about AJay. I think she got a little rest this afternoon but that would not be enough to replenish what she has lost. If we dose at +6 now, I guess the numbers are going to dictate when to shoot the next dose!? Need to keep AJay on some kind of a workable schedule because she is key to all of this.

ETA another hurray to no ketones! :D

TempestsMum likes this.
  30. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Retesting in 15 minutes,

So she will be shooting every 6 hours then from now on or just for tonight/tomorrow?

I do think it was the contraband that caused this

31. Kris & Teasel

I think the every 6 hours will be a short term thing and can be assessed cycle to cycle. Ajay's sanity would be taxed to its limits if this was a longer term thing.

TempestsMum likes this.
  32. MrWorfMen's Mom

I agree with Kris. I think we have to play this by ear right now! We'll get AJay and Chester back of a normal schedule ASAP. Waiting for the next reading and then going to make some dinner to keep me going!

TempestsMum likes this.
  33. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

He's seeing a different vet on Friday for bloods and check up. They are coming to the house.

34. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Just another opinion.....with the HC treat possibility, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable suggesting shooting every 6 hours

Chester's numbers aren't that high and if the treats are involved, that's enough to spike the BG

Shooting every 6 (or even every 8 hours) is really hard on the caretaker and with him getting into yellows lately, I think I'd just stick with the every 12 hour schedule and monitor closely for ketones

35. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

At 22.3 now 4.5 hours

36. Kris & Teasel

Good point, Chris. It's hard to know what to do in the immediate cycle or two ahead because he's been sky high and wouldn't come down at the vet clinic. I'm not sure his body can tolerate high-ish BGs right now. This is a tricky situation.

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  37. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Ok so we are approaching +6 what does AJay do

38. MrWorfMen's Mom

I think given his BG seems to be coming down, we have found our culprit and with ketones at negative, I agree with Chris that keeping to a more doable schedule is probably best. We have to keep both Chester and AJay is mind here. Let's see where he is at +8 and then decide but for now no shot at +6.

39. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

40. MrWorfMen's Mom

I think best to wait this out till +8. Shooting then while not ideal is still a more workable schedule and will help to keep his numbers down. I hate to say it but I have to wonder if when he is eating better etc. the Vetsulin just isn't lasting long enough. We also have the option of upping the dose but then monitoring is still going to be an issue as we don't want him dropping too much.

Kris & Teasel and TempestsMum like this.
  41. MrWorfMen's Mom

@Kris & Teasel what do you think about upping Chester to 3.0u if AJay is up for monitoring again. This guy is all over the map right now although I still think the dog treats are the culprit but we need to get his numbers down. I've sent AJay a PM asking her to test at 10:30 our time. Will you be around then?

42. Kris & Teasel

I think that's reasonable, Linda. Is the plan still to give insulin at +8? Yes, I'll be around at 10:30 PM our time.

43. MrWorfMen's Mom

I'm thinking yes to the +8 if AJay is up for it but I'd like some consensus from others with some DKA experience. I also wonder if he is still bouncing a little from that 9.3 yesterday....he hasn't seen numbers that low since they joined. Let's see what Chester does at +8 and then make a decision about dose. Thx.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  44. Chris & China (GA)

I also think it would be in Chester's best interest to either go back to ProZinc, or try Lantus/Levemir

The Caninsulin isn't the best insulin for most cats and it sure doesn't seem to be doing him any favors.

If a basal insulin like ProZinc, Lantus, Levemir aren't doing what we need them to do, we can always discuss using R (with lots of help from those that have lots of experience with using it)

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  45. MrWorfMen's Mom

Thanks for your thoughts Chris. I was thinking the same thing and mentioned to AJay that she might want to discuss this with her vet as she is having a home visit on Friday. :)

46. MrWorfMen's Mom

@Kris & Teasel @Chris & China Chester's BG at +7.5 is 29.4 so my thoughts are to stick with the 2.75u and shoot at +8 and then get him back on 12 hr. schedule tomorrow/Thursday. He did eat a bit about 45 minutes ago so that reading is a bit food influenced and thus I don't think increasing at this point is prudent. Your thoughts?

47. Kris & Teasel

Chances are at +8 there's a little of the earlier dose still in him so 2.75 u should be OK.

48. AJay

AJay Member

49. Kris & Teasel

R insulin is a fast acting short duration insulin that can be used in very tiny doses at strategic times within a cycle to pull Bg numbers down more strongly. This is in addition to the regular, or basal, insulin.

AJay likes this.
  50. AJay

AJay Member

Just to note - if you want your cat to pee - try the running water trick... Might be worth a try - seemed to work for Ches. Either that or the water I've been putting thru him.

Thank you from the bottom of my coffee cup guys! xxx

51. AJay

AJay Member

Worth an ask - just seem to have some VERY risk averse vets round here who like to treat all their clients like muppets - ok this one IS! :oops:

52. Kris & Teasel

What's your "whole cat" assessment of Chester today?

53. Chris & China (GA)

R is a very powerful, short acting insulin that's used mostly in DKA cases that are at the vets.....it pulls down high numbers so the basal insulin can "grab on" better.

But it should only be used at home with help from others that have lots of experience with it. I know @Sandy and Black Kitty have helped others.

It's usually started at doses like .01 with lots of testing in the first few hours to see how much it drops the BG....it also has to be timed right....you don't want to have both the basal insulin and the R "nadiring" at the same time

AJay likes this.
  54. AJay

AJay Member

We've had a bloody good day!
    He's been fab - I don't know the Healthy Chester - pre all this stuff, obviously. He hadn't been drinking loads, Faeces were very soft, but not explosive liquid. We went out into the orchard, he was bright and alert - not loads of energy - to be expected. Dug holes for wee and poo and covered them over. Seemed happy and contented. Eating well

55. MrWorfMen's Mom

"R" is regular very fast acting insulin. Often used by vets to get BG down fast and also used with high dose kitties in much smaller doses. We have folks here experienced with it's use but it isn't anything you'd want to try on your own. Something to keep in a back pocket should the need arise.

If AJay seems more subdued or off since the Vetsulin that is just more ammo to use to get the vet to consider putting him back on the ProZinc. Some kitties just don't feel well on Vetsulin.

I see Kris & Chris beat me to the insulin query! LOL!

I think we are agreed that Chester should get 2.75u tonight at +8 and we'll figure out next dose times and shoot based on BG readings. Monitor at +2 for starters.

Kris & Teasel and AJay like this.
  56. Kris & Teasel

This is great! It's easy to get fixated on numbers and forget to look at the kitty in front of us.

57. AJay

AJay Member

I can be subdued - but usually at different times and when alcohol is withdrawn... LOL!!!

Ok - so 2.75 to start...

58. Chris & China (GA)

Something else to consider before going to an 8 hour shot.....to return to your previous shot time and go back to every 12 hours, you'll have to wait until +20 from now to shoot again, or stay on an "adjusted" schedule until you can work your way back....which could take quite a long time....his ketones are negative now and you've only got 4 more hours....might be easier to just push lots of water into him, check ketones when you can and keep an eye on him....start over at your usual shot time in the morning

Is he eating well?

59. MrWorfMen's Mom

:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops: It took me a moment to figure out that comment! Now I see I caused it! LOL!

AJay likes this.
  60. MrWorfMen's Mom

He has been eating well. We did an 8 hour and a couple of 10 hour cycles the other day to get them back onto normal shot schedule due to a furshot and some high BG numbers right after discharge from ER. Worked a charm then!

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  61. AJay

AJay Member

@Chris & China Getting him back to schedule is the least of my worries. Him being in high numbers is - He risks dehydration and low potassium like you have NO idea - This is why he ended up being in the vets.

I don't think I could push more water into him than I am - 1 very stressed kitty....

If you can help mw with he schedule, then I can adjust / work it in with my schedule - getting him out of high numbers is vital really given his history.
    @MrWorfMen's Mom ?

62. Chris & China (GA)

Totally up to you and AJay.....just throwing ideas out there!!...I know AJay is exhausted (I would be too!...of course I live in pretty much a constant state of exhausted myself....LOL)

63. MrWorfMen's Mom

I'm game if you are. We'll work out the schedule to get you back on schedule for 12 hour cycles ASAP.

AJay likes this.
  64. AJay

AJay Member

Im ok Chris - just on overdrive energy for Ches. I appreciate the ideas - i really do. He also has possible Triaditis / IBD type stuff going on so very sensitive absorption system as it is :( We need all the low numbers we can grab hold of. lol x

65. AJay

AJay Member

So 2.75?

66. MrWorfMen's Mom

67. AJay

AJay Member

Here goes...

68. AJay

AJay Member

Eat if he wants to? - sorry - paranoid

69. MrWorfMen's Mom

Yes let him eat as he chooses other than 2 hours before shot times. We can always raise the insulin later if the need arises.

70. MrWorfMen's Mom

Suggested schedule to get back on to normal 12 hour cycles and shot times.
    Do two more 8 hour cycles. Shoot Wednesday @ Noon and at 8pm if BG numbers allow. Then resume 12 hour schedule.

If I've screwed up the times AJay. just holler and I'll re-calculate. I HATE time zones!

AJay likes this.
  71. AJay

AJay Member

K - hes starving.. Good sign for him really. :) Help me with fluid and potassium levels.

So you and Kris going to work out a schedule? +8 is 12pm here (lunchtime) Check every 2?

72. AJay

AJay Member

Times work :) I came to same conclusion lol.

Could you / someone be around for then please? I'll aim to test about +7.5 to give you time? or test closer to +8? Just so I can check numbers, please.

So Im to check for any big drops - 1t spoon of carb if needed - as before? Any chance it could rise?

Terrified cos you guys are going off to bed soon

73. MrWorfMen's Mom

Not sure what you mean by "Help me with fluid and potassium levels."

I'm usually up early and tomorrow I have to put out my recycle so no sleeping in for me! I'll check in at +7.5 11:30am your time (06:30 mine.)

As for testing tonight, see if he is dropping at +2. If so give him that 1tsp of food to slow him down. If you want to give higher carb that's fine. If the drop at +2 is large >5 mmol, then test again at +4. If it's a minor drop, test again at +5.

I hope you can catch a few cat naps. I feel guilty going to bed!

I better goo get my furball their bedtime snack and test my little sweety now. I'll check in before I hit the sack just in case there are any other questions.

74. AJay

AJay Member

If he's eating, then it helps me out with his hydration and potassium levels. Otherwise I am into Sub q fluids and syringing more.. Just what I have noticed.

>5 mmol? So from 29 to 24? for example? I thought that would be ok? Sorry :( Just need it in idiots language right now. :(

Don't feel guilty about hitting the sack. :) Plenty of repeats and pre records I can work my way thru... xx

75. AJay

AJay Member

Keep putting fluids through?

Sorry - Im not panicking much... Tara will be around soon tho, bless her

76. MrWorfMen's Mom

When did you last give fluids? I wonder if instead of subQ can you add some water to his food? Some kitties won't eat it if it's soupy but others think it's great!
    Check his scruff and gums. If gums are tacky or scruff doesn't snap back immediately, then he's down on fluids and might need more subq.

Drop from 29 to 24 is fine but if it's in the first two hours when he's just eaten with his shot, it could mean he's dropping fast. Rather than having to chase after numbers later, I'd intervene with a bit of food to just level him off. 5mmol in 2 hours is a significant drop and if he keeps dropping fast it could cause a bounce which is OK but not ideal because then we fret over the elevated numbers.

AJay and Kris & Teasel like this.
  77. AJay

AJay Member

4.15 fluids. Cant give any sub q's till 12pm lunchtime. He's not snapping back - but he's not at that level of hydration, its not hanging either. Kinda midway. He's being iffy with his mouth cos of all the interference. Difficult to truly tell :(

Ive been syringing warm water to help absorption.

Understood re numbers. Thank you xx

78. MrWorfMen's Mom

If we can keep his BG down, he won't be peeing out as much either so these 8 hour cycles as hard as they are on you, might help keep his urine output under better control and improve his hydration. He's eating better now too so if he keeps that up without the backend problems, he should improve.

AJay likes this.
  79. AJay

AJay Member

All good - just as well I work from home :)

Sleep well, catch you tomorrow. xx

80. MrWorfMen's Mom

Good night! If you do have any issues overnight, use the 911 prefix. There's usually someone around. Back at 06:30am (11:30 your time!):bighug::bighug::bighug:

81. Squalliesmom

AJay, another thing that works well for diarrhea and soft/runny poos is s. boulardii. I use plain s.boulardii (no other ingredients) and mix a full capsule-full into the food, morning and night. You may want to start off at 1/2 cap 2x daily and gradually work up to 1 full cap.

Hope Mr. Chester's bg numbers stay down for you, and that he continues to have no ketones. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

82. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

My R experience is using it with a depot type insulin. Im not at all familiar with Caninsulin.
    Glad Chester is being monitored for the development of ketones. His recent history of 2 episodes of DKA is troubling.
    The recipe for the development of ketones -
    Not enough insulin+Not enough calories+Infection/Inflammation.
    Also note that BGs do not need to be crazy high for ketones to develop.

The way DKA works is that when there is not enough energy from food making it into the cells, the body will breakdown fat and protein to try and fulfill the need for more metabolic energy. The excessive breakdown of these stored reserves creates a toxic by-product - ketones. As ketones build up in the blood stream, the resulting pH and electrolyte imbalances can very quickly develop to life threatening levels , a state of DKA.
    So, get more insulin into him, consistently, even if it means feeding higher carb.

Hydration is also very important - when a kitty is dehydrated insulin given by subcutaneous shot does not get properly absorbed. Make sure to fully address any infection and or inflammation.

AJay likes this.
  83. MrWorfMen's Mom

Good morning AJay. I'm up and about and will check in again in half hour!

84. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Hey Linda, Chester is at the vets. A different vets. Cross your fingers, I'm hoping it will be good news.

85. MrWorfMen's Mom

Oh no! :( I saw some higher readings on the SS over night into the morning and wondered what was up. Did something other than the high BG happen? Crossing everything I can here!

86. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

She was most concerned about his bg levels and hydration, thinks perhaps a UTI and needs to stop that in its tracks if that's what it is.

87. Squalliesmom

Sending prayers and good vetty vines. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

88. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Confirmed UTI so he's getting some treatment for that. :)

89. Kris & Teasel

I really hope this is only a blip that will resolve. Let us know if the other vet has any insights into how to treat all his other issues going forward.

TempestsMum likes this.
  90. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

I've spoken to AJay on he phone but parts of the conversation were hard for me to make out so until I get a chance to check with her for the correct info I'm holding off on details other than to say he's having an overnight stay at a lovely hospital with monitoring. And finally a glass of wine! Food and sleep for AJay! :)

91. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

What a wonderful friend you are, Tara :)

JeffJ, AJay and TempestsMum like this.
  92. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Oh goodness :oops: thank you. Just paying it forward, for all the kindness I received here. :cat:

AJay likes this.
  93. AJay

AJay Member

wine.jpg Ches.jpg

Laydeez and Gentlemen, I declare it Wine o'Clock in honour of a truly humbling awesome group of people. It really has restored my faith in human nature! To that end I declare that tonight is a night off for all of those who have offered help and the most incredible support in some of the toughest days with Mr Golden Paws.

Ches is now in a different vets. Its quite a distance from me, but he is getting awesome care and support. <3 I first took him to my local branch of the Practice. Jon agreed to see him as a last minute on the end of his clinic. @TempestsMum (aka unbelievably amazing, awesome, wonderful person!) helped me to concoct a version of events and facts that was not going to drop anyone in the smelly stuff. Some facts were omitted, others were moulded to suit ;)

Jon was understandably reticent to get dropped into the middle of a complex case that had been handled by another vet and an opinion from a specialist. But after being presented with a full set of facts and figures from "our" end, he was persuaded to give it a go and see what could be done. In true vet fashion he was cagey about the prognosis but agreed to work with me, to find a way forward for Ches that suited him including the possibility of Sub q fluids at home! :D :D if needs be.

I haven't asked yet, but I feel they may be open to him being referred to a homeopathic vet too :)

As there was limited care that could be given to Ches at the local clinic - no point starting treatment to then have to unsettle him and move him to the main clinic 40 mins away with the other blood testing equipment. We made a paw pact that I would come back for him later on and have a chat to the Clinical Lead who was over there.

I nipped home to check the animals, post, see if the fortiflora had been delivered... Mom offered to feed me and I had a half hour kat nap :)
    At 5pm I went back to see Ches - what a transformation!!! He had really picked up and meeped, head rubbed and purred his way round the table!

In the space of the 4 hrs I was away, they ran some more blood tests and put him on a Hartmanns IV. Caths (Clinical Lead) assessment of him was that generally the bloods were very good - considering what she had read in his previous history from the other vets, she expected a lot worse. Hydration and electrolytes were generally good - Potassium at the low end of normal, but holding.

The only thing that stood out was that he was anaemic. His blood was not regenerating and she does not know why - yet. She ran a FIP test - negative :) So ideas on a postcard please :)

Cath has agreed to work with me to medically support Ches and try to get to the bottom of his various conditions. She has upped his Insulin to 3u. Wasn't worried by any of the actions we took last night - in fact quite the opposite... In time I will come clean as I think it is a benefit she would appreciate. :) She is absolutely of the opinion that Ches is not a candidate for PTS AT ALL! Not denying that he is still very sick and accepts that this could take a very long time to sort out and get him to a point he can pretty much support himself. She has upped his insulin to 3u.BG currently sitting at 20. No keytones, urinalysis generally very good. Signs of a UTI for which he'll get antic's and she'll sort me out some antic's to take home :)

An interesting comment she made was that she had swapped the saline IV for Hartmanns... I hadn't spotted in the notes from the previous Vet that he had been on a saline drip!!! High carb food and too low an insulin dose!!!! OMG!

She made a point of asking me about diet for him :D :D :D She was really happy that I had brought some of the diet he is currently tolerating - Applaws. It not ideal or complete, but it will do for now. Bozita is ordered and she will be very happy when it arrives :) She's very open to discussing what may or may not work for him in terms of settling the obvious inflammation in his system - doing invasive tests is not an option. We'll just have to work with the clinical signs and take it very slow with him. Day by day.

Finally a vet that is prepared to listen and work with us! What a breath of fresh air! It is actually the vet I did Work Experience with when I was training :D

I had about an hour with him in a separate room, cuddling, him having a wander and then doing a very passable Simons Cat impression! 3 pouches later he was heaving and looking very full :D :D

When it was time for him to go back, I picked him up like a baby cradled - the first time he has never squirmed... He lifted his head and hooked his chin over my shoulder and refused to budge :cat::cat: He really got upset when I put him on the table for the nurse to pick him up :( :( But I'll be back to see him tomorrow and give him big hugs and cuddles - and more food! :D :D

I told him that he had a lot of new family rooting for him and that he just had to rest up and let us get to the bottom of this little blip.

Tonight, I am going to have a well earned rest, ready for round 3 when Mr Golden Paws comes home :D :D

Thank you all again for giving us rock solid support when I was really losing the ability to reason at all. :kiss::kiss::kiss:

94. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

So glad to hear the good report! Get lots of rest.. it is definitely well deserved. :bighug:

AJay likes this.
  95. Kris & Teasel

This is excellent! :smuggrin:

AJay likes this.
  96. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

97. MrWorfMen's Mom

I am so relieved to hear that Golden Paws is now getting the attention and care he needs. AJay, your resourcefulness is amazing and Chester is so lucky to have you as his hooman! Rest well! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

AJay likes this.
  98. Squalliesmom

I am SO happy to hear the good news!!! I have been so worried about both Chester, and you, too, AJay. Thank heavens for this new vet! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

You deserve that glass of vino, AJay, enjoy!:):bighug::bighug:

AJay likes this.
  99. AJay

AJay Member

Ches is back from his holibobs!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

A surprise quick discharge. I only went in to visit him last night and ended up coming back home with him :D He did exceptionally well. They were impressed with his glucose curve. Eating well, bowel and bladder working properly again...

I had a hideous "consult" with yet another vet :rolleyes::rolleyes: Suffice to say I won't be having anything to do with him again and have made this quite clear to Jon this morning. As far as I was concerned I was not going to go thru all the history etc and justify testing / dosing / my actions for Ches over the last week - just to keep him alive! Long story and the Earth Angel Tara @TempestsMum has already had the rant from me.

Ches is back on 2.5u as he dropped to 5mmol at one point. Ive updated his spreadsheet this morning. :)

Thanks again to Tara, Ches is on Bozita and I have lost count of the 190g paks he has made his way through so far since we got home. lol Best bit is his tummy is tolerating it very well. :D :D :D

We've been out into the orchard, made our mark ;) snoozed under a bush that I then had to climb in and tempt him out (with food) :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Balls to the "other vet" - If I want to take home my unstable diabetic and monitor him i darn well will, because whilst you've had "training" on FD Im pretty sure you've never had to deal with it... And one day, if you're lucky, you'll learn that the care providers DO have valid info AND can be very capable and effective at monitoring their fur family if needed because they have SUPERB back up. ;) :) (And if he's even luckier, he might make a good vet...)

Thank you for all your good wishes. I really couldn't have got through this without falling apart. Lets hope we have a bit of a longer break between visits this time :) :)

100. MrWorfMen's Mom

animated-feeling-smiley-image-0091.gif YEAH! Chester is home! Thank you for the update and so happy to hear he's doing well on his new food and enjoying the orchard. Sorry you had to endure yet another run in with a dimwitted vet. Unfortunately, this seems to be a pretty common experience with our extra sweet fur kids. All fingers and paws crossed there are no more bumps in the road for you and Chester! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.