chloe is too low

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by srk4cats, Apr 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. srk4cats

srk4cats Well-Known Member

30 and then 45. She's eating now. I'll test again in 15 minutes.

2. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Don't feed a whole lot in case you need her to eat some more. Just 1-2 tablespoons.

3. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Do you have any gravy food?

4. Squalliesmom

Just peeked at your spreadsheet - she was at 30 at PMPS, 12 hours after her last insulin shot?

5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Yes, I think that 's correct. She posted on the ProZinc forum too.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  6. Squalliesmom

Yes, thanks, I just saw that, someone else also brought it to my attention.

Odd for kitty to be so low 12 or more hours after last shot.

7. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

She updated her SS with a reading of 31. :eek:

8. Squalliesmom

@srk3cats It is really vital that you get Chloe's bg up over 50! If you cannot get it over 50 or keep it sustained there, it would probably be a good idea to head for an ER vet clinic.

9. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

I agree.

10. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

11. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

This makes me so nervous. Please let us know how Chloe is. That's so low#

12. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

@srk3cats Chloe has been low for a few hours now according to your spreadsheet. That number really needs to come up urgently. Please add some honey or syrup to some food...or give a little honey or syrup by itself. With a cat running low for this long, this is no time for half measures or trying to gently guide the numbers back up...she really does need to come up now.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  13. Squalliesmom

Here's the thing - she has had no insulin for 15+ hrs, now. Kind of puzzling. Her caregiver has another thread on the Prozinc forum, with more detailed info. I have been trying to convince her to take Chloe to the ER vet but I don't think I'm getting very far.

14. manxcat419

Prozinc is listed as lasting 10-14 hours, but I'm wondering if there may be some cats who get a longer duration from it based on Chloe's numbers tonight. Problem is, we don't know how low she went before that 30, or for how long. And there are a number of days with only pre-shot tests. My concern is that her glycogen stores are low, possibly from low numbers on other days or from a prolonged low today...and she may not be physically able to bring herself back up. Or there may be something else entirely going on. I think any time a cat goes that low and doesn't come back up with usual high-carb measures, the ER vet is the right place to be.

15. Squalliesmom

I agree wholeheartedly, and have expressed just that concern to her caregiver. Please see her thread on The Prozinc forum, I am not getting anywhere. Maybe you can convince her!

16. manxcat419

I added to her other thread too. I am actually very concerned about this - she should be on her way back up from the skipped shot if nothing else...but she isn't. That, to me, is an emergency situation - she is lacking glucose to all her cells, including her brain at this point.

17. Squalliesmom

I know, I agree! Thank you for weighing in, i hope she will listen to you, or maybe just the weight of an additional voice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.