Cincinnati Vet Recommendation For Feline Diabetes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by marcia, Jun 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcia

marcia New Member

Fred, 12 year old male, was diagnosed with pancreatitis and diabetes in April. Is currently on Pro Zinc insulin but we can not get him regulated. Can anyone recommend a Cincinnati vet with lots of experience treating hard to regulate feline diabetes? Thank you!

2. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Maybe we can help with the regulation bit; what food are you feeding, how was he diagnosed, what meds is he on and has he been on steroids, are you testing blood glucose levels at home?

3. marcia

marcia New Member

Fred was diagnosed when hospitalized for a then unknown illness which turned out to be ketoacidosis a diabetic attack along with pancreatitis and an upper respiratory infection. He did an amazing job of hiding his illness from me. Over the years he would occasionally be on a small dose of prednisolone for a
    few months in the summer for allergies but is currently on no medications other than insulin. He did have a reaction to a vaccine in December but they removed the tumor and it was benign. He is prone to upper respiratory infections so occasionally needs antibiotics. Once diagnosed with diabetes I gradually changed his diet. He now gets Wellness canned in the morning and Evo canned at night. I am free feeding Wellness Core Dry so he always has access to food if needed which he snacks on but does not eat a lot of. He was started on Humulin N insulin for the first month then switched to Pro Zinc. I have been testing him at home for the past month and it is much easier than I imagined once we both got used to it. He has ranged anywhere from 52 to over 500. We have tried doses from .5 to 3.0 with no apparent pattern. One week 2.0 seems good and then all of a sudden it is too much. We can't get him settled enough to stay on a dose for more than a few days as he will suddenly start going too low or too high. As I gradually increase his dose it seems the next day if his lows were in the 200's they are then in the 300's with the increase in insulin. If I decrease the insulin he just gradually starts to climb higher. My vet says that he has never seen a diabetic cat react this way before. Fred cat is an amazing, intelligent, gentle & patient cat and I need to find a way to help him. Sorry for the long windy answer but Fred
    is a complicated man. confused_cat Thank you for your interest!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.