cinnamon and diabetic cats

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Delma and Frank, Jan 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Delma and Frank

Delma and Frank Member

My husband read that cinnamon holds back blood sugar spikes after eating. So, he recently started eating cinnamon after dinner. I don't know how much he uses, but it sure smells up the kitchen with a strong smell of cinnamon. Dont know if this helps him in any way. His interest in this led me to google the subject and I found the following Snopes.com forum comment:
    Anybody have some thoughts on this?

2. Dana & Thomas

Dana & Thomas Member

Truthfully, I don't think that I could get the cats to eat something with cinnamon sprinkled on it!
    Dana

3. Victoria & Sundance

Victoria & Sundance Member

This topic comes up often ... and the answer is always the same... Don't give your cats cinnamon.

I have recently read the exact suggestion and ones like it... but I have also read that, though it's not toxic immediately to cats, it can damage organs if taken in continuously or in large amounts. I've also read that it is toxic to cats. Who knows what a large amount is for an animal that would not normally ingest such an item?

I've seen it suggested as a non-toxic remedy for ants for people who have animals in the house. And the animals won't eat it.

Also, even if there was a 10-20 point drop... that is not much at all, certainly not worth the risk. I'd say that even a 100 point drop isn't worth the risk when we know what positive work the insulin can do.

4. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Just because something is safe and works for people doesn't mean it is safe for cats. Cinnamon oil can be quite toxic to them.

5. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Save the cinnamon for yummy baking. I agree with all the replies you've received.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.