Civie has bad cold-breathing through his mouth

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Maggies Mom Debby, Jul 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

erik has a bad cold. sneezing. runny eyes. now his nose is so clogged that he's breathing through his mouth. his breathing isn't labored. he doesn't seem to be in distress. just miserable.

background...his sister was sick this past week. mostly same symptoms. saw vet, given baytril and 1/4 medrol every other day. she is very much better. I called the vet this morning and she had me give the baytril I still have to erik.

we have no er's here. I would have to call the regular vet.

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

For symptom relief only:

Use a warm damp washcloth and pull a "mom cat", removing crusties and goop for comfort.
    A tiny bit of petroleum jelly wiped into the fur around the eyes and nose may help keep the crusties from glueing down so tightly.

I asked my vet if using human grade, preservative free, moisturizing eye drops (ex Systane) in the eyes would help loosen intra-nasal goo. The response was "don't know". It does seem to do that for me.

A pediatric nasal bulb to suction out runny mucus (at pharmacy), if used gently, may help - ie, only squeeze the bulb partway, position, and release bulb to see if any goop gets removed.

3. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

Thanks BJ. I wasn't terribly worried, it was just a miserable kitty cold. Then the mouth breathing started and I started to freak out a little.

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Comfort care may improve the bond between you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.