civie question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by bradie96, Jul 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bradie96

bradie96 Member

my civie molly i noticed today is losing her lower fang tooth....thing is its not completely out and its kind of hanging out over her upper lip just a tad....i touched and its definately loose but obviously im not pulling it....she isnt in pain and is eating and running...do i just let it run its course...assuming it will fall out soon, dont really want to take her to the vet if it will just fall out on its own...any suggestions?

thanks! confused_cat

2. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

It might be broken off below the gum-line. It's not normal for
    a tooth to just fall out.

Broken tooth = vet visit, I'm afraid.

3. bradie96

bradie96 Member

its not broken i can see where the whole tooth is its just coming out and its quite loose....
    no breakage at all , my other cat has all but one "fang" tooth and i called a vet about his and they said sometimes it just happens and as long as he isnt in pain or bleeding its ok.

my question is should i just leave it a few more days to see if it falls out on its own?

4. laur+danny+horde

laur+danny+horde Member

I agree with Karen. I believe this cat needs to see the vet immediately. You might save yourself a lot of money because the cat could develop some sort of infection (or an existing one could worsen), and you may be saving your cat a good deal of pain. It isn't normal for a cat's tooth to just fall out -- any more than it would be normal for one of your teeth to fall out. The vet will need to find out what's going on. This will probably require an xray so ask up front if your vet has one. If not, you will likely need a vet dentist.

I wonder if there is some sort of abscess or bone infection going on. This could affect other teeth and would probably be quite painful. It could also reduce your cat's appetite, which can bring on other conditions that are dangerous and expensive, such as hepatic lipidosis.

Please let us know what the vet says. Good luck,

laur

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

My guess is that the tooth had a reabsorptive lesion a little below the gum line and broke off at that weakened area. A canine tooth generally has 1/3 of its length exposed and 2/3 hidden. The remaining part of the root can cause future problems, or could just be reabsorbed without problems. My civi Izzebelle lost one canine and the root was reabsorbed without problems (this was before I know more than I know now).

6. bradie96

bradie96 Member

molly was taken to the vet....it barely needed pulling whatsoever they kind of just pull very slightly on it and it came out..she started a fever so that is the main reason i took her but the vet said it would have fallen out in a day or two...

all is well with her now!

7. laur+danny+horde

laur+danny+horde Member

Glad to hear all is well with Molly. Did the vet say what caused the tooth to loosen? What caused the fever?

thanks for the update!

8. bradie96

bradie96 Member

ive talked to another well known vet here in the area and she said sometimes they just fall out for no reason..my other cat lost 3 of his couldnt tell you when but i never knew he lost them...and the fever? nope they didnt say why what i am assuming is that is was trying to fall out its own and i know it was a little painful so maybe the body was jsut fighting the tooth?
    she got a shot of antibiotics and all has been well....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.