Civvie - weak hind legs - advice?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Joanna & Bix (GA), Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

I've noticed lately my civvie Noora seems weak in the hind legs - doesn't look quite like neuropathy to me - when she jumps it's like her thighs are weak and they sort-of fold. Not overly dramatic, just not her normal strength. She's started doing more stuff in the past few days like thinking before she jumps, stepping/climbing rather than jumping, etc. She's 12 1/2, and has chronic upper respiratory, but no other health problems I know of. She did throw up yesterday (she's an occasional random barfer) but seems to be eating normally since then.

I got my courage up and tested her BG just now and got 54... YAY!!!

Someone suggested I should try Methyl-B12 (Bix's legs also seem weak at times, though his BG hasn't run really high for a long time, at least when I've tested). Is that safe to try just to see if it helps? I'm thinking of ordering some & trying it for all 3 kitties. Is it possible to have a deficiency of that w/o having diabetes? They eat Wellness turkey & chicken, and Noora is on pulse ABs for the chronic URI (Azithromycin approx. every 3 days - I've tried various versions of L-Lysine with her, but she barfs them up).

I can't afford a vet trip unless it's an emergency, and in the absense of any other signs of a problem I'm not sure if I'm overreacting? Or underreacting... could be a sign of something underlying? Arghhh!!!

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

My civvie Sydney had a weakness problem several years ago (I say several years ago, as I'm giving ongoing treatment ever since). Not only did I notice weakness, but she also cried out when I touched her hip area.

It turns out that she was arthritic and had cartilige issues. So, I started her on glucosamine, chrondroitin, MSM combo pill. I gave her a people pill for years - Schiff brand Move Free. I bought the lowest amount and gave her 1/2 pill daily.

It was only recently that I learned about kitty treats that could be given in lieu of the pills. A product called catswell - happy hips - it doesn't contain MSM and another product called Pet naturals of Vermont - hip & joint treats - this does contain MSM.

Sydney loves both "treats" and it's so much easier than pilling. I found with the Pet Natural that I do need to cut the treat as she sometimes chokes on the whole piece.

You can buy these products at local specialty pet shops as well as online. If you're interested in the cheapest online stores, please let me know.

3. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

Ooh, I buy Dogswell Happy Hips canned food for my drooler! I didn't know there was a cat line, too. She loves the Dogswell, so I will have to check out the Catswell. Thanks! :)

4. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm definitely interested. Thanks so much for the suggestion!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.