Clavamox and BG numbers

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lynee and Max, Sep 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lynee and Max

Lynee and Max Member

Howdy all. Boy it has been such a long time since I posted on health. To give you a little update as to what is going on:

Max has been OTJ since 2/4/10. The past few weeks I have noticed an increase in water consumption and him peeing puddles in the LB. Took him to the vet on Friday to see what's going on. All values looked good including his kidneys. Only thing the vet didn't like was it showed that he MAY have a UTI brewing. Stick showed it but spin out didn't. So we started 1 mil Clavamox bid. Before going to the vet he tested a 101 which I attributed to the UTI starting. Well, since starting the Clavamox, he has increased steadily in his numbers. Today I've been testing and got a 143 ~ +2 147 ~ +5 198. I am extremely freaked out right now and am wondering if anybody has seen Clavamox do this to BG numbers?

2. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

wheezers numbers have gone up when on clav

3. Lynee and Max

Lynee and Max Member

How high do I allow his numbers to go with no insulin? If he is steadily rising and is almost in yellow, I'm afraid he's just gonna keep going until he hits the black and is back at 599 that he was at his dx. We just started the Clav on Friday evening and have the rest of this week and another whole week to go yet.

4. OLM Catnip Cottage

OLM Catnip Cottage Well-Known Member

Also bear in mind that if he has an infection of some sort (what he was put on Clavamox for in the first place) his numbers would probably also rise from the infection.

Generally, I shoot insulin when pretest numbers are above 200, but ECID and you probably know how your kitty deals with insulin and with high numbers.

I shoot on 200, and monitor with spot-checks how Chloe is using insulin when she has bouts of needing it.

5. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

I always thought it was infection and not antibiotics that raised blood glucose levels....but I don't know it for a fact.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.