Clavamox and Diabetes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sue & Callie, Aug 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sue & Callie

Sue & Callie New Member

Hi,

I have a 12 year old female cat, Callie who was diagnosed December 11, 2009. She was on Lantus and got her down to less than .25U BID when my vet told me to change her to .5U SID. That was back in June and didn't produce good results so I now have her back on .5U BID. We were just getting stable again when she developed a very high fever. Her levels were still consistently between 180 and 220. Her vet put her on Clavamox to cure the "infection". This is her 3rd day and this morning her BG was 330, dropped a bit mid day to 270 and then higher at 370 before her evening dose. Is this normal with the use of Clavmox in diabetic cats?

Thanks, Sue

2. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Hi Sue. I don't have any experience with using Clav with diabetes, but it could just be that the infection is still there and causing the BG to rise. What were her average BG's prior to the infection? Did the vet identify what kind of infection it is? I would give it a couple more days and see if the BG's don't start to go down with the antibiotic kicking in.

3. Sue & Callie

Sue & Callie New Member

Hi Paige,
    Her BG's weren't too high before the infection and even when I took her to the vet. Like I said, I was still trying to regulate her after moving her back to twice a day injections from the once a day. I gave her a tad more insulin last night (.6 instead of .5) and just tested her now and she was 9.4 (170) which is a much safer place for me. Could have been a lot of things I guess and I'll keep monitoring. The clavimox is making her very sleepy as well so today I'm feeding her before giving her the pill and see how that goes.
    Thanks for getting back to me,

Sue & Callie

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

An antibiotic such as Clavamox does not really effect BGs. It is the infection that is effecting them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.