Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gingerand((calliope))(GA)

gingerand((calliope))(GA) Member

Snugs has a mild bladder infection and started clavamox, for 2 weeks, today. He's never had to take it before, so I don't know whether he'll have any tummy issues, but I want to be prepared if he does.

As I recall, a quarter tablet of regular pepcid ac can be given once a day for that, correct?

Do I recall reading something about plain yogurt being good for tummy issues, as well? I may be confused about something else, but if it will help also, I want to have some on hand.

Thanks so much for the help.

2. Donna and Flame

Donna and Flame Well-Known Member

Hey Ginger,
    Sorry to hear Snugs is under the weather. Flame is on Clindamyacin right now for the abcess on his leg. Whenever I give any type of antibiotics, I make sure to give some type of acidophilus/probiotic to replace the good flora in the gut that the antibiotics tend to kill. It helps decrease the likelihood of diarrhea and tummy problems.
    Try to give about 1 hour before meal so the adidophilus has time to get into the tummy and intestinal tract. I usually give Jarrow PetDophilus and give about 1/8 tsp mixed in w/ a little baby food so I'm sure he gets it all.

I usually keep them on the acidophilus for at least a few days to a week after the course of antibiotics as well.

Hope Snugs feels better!

3. gingerand((calliope))(GA)

Thanks so much, Donna. I can't tell whether Snugs is feeling poorly or not. He wasn't showing any signs of discomfort before the bladder DX, but since the first dose of clavamox, he's meatloafed a bit and stretched his neck out flat while doing that, which is how he was after the major dental surgery he had removing all but 3 of his teeth, in August. However, he's also just eaten a few treats and came up to watch some birds and squirrels. I think your suggestion of giving something just to make sure, is a good one. Where is it that I get the stuff you are recommending?

I have to leave town this evening for the night on business. No way to cancel. The only person who can take my place just got out of the hospital today. I have someone coming to feed and give the medicine this evening and tomorrow morning. I won't be gone even 24 hours, but... She'll hang around a while, also, but she won't be here all night or all day and I want to make sure Snugs is as comfy as I can make him. I'd hate for him to be feeling poorly while I'm away with nothing to give to soothe him.

4. Donna and Flame

Hmmmm... Ginger, you are in Louisiana, right? Not sure what you have down there. Do you have a Whole Foods Market or anything like that? Sometimes, you can actually get the Jarrow PetDophilus at Whole Foods. I normally order mine online, but you need something right away. If you want, you can order some Jarrow when you get back just to keep around. It's good for a year or more in the fridge and I usually have it on hand just in case.

Truthfully, you can go to a grocery store or health food store and get some Acidophilus and just use that. Usually comes in capsules, and not sure what size capsules you will be able to get, so you'll have to judge what might be about 1/8 tsp or so. Something is way better than nothing in this case.

I only use the Jarrow because it has live cultures. It has to be refrigerated, but if you get a bottle of Acidophilus from the grocery or health food store, it may not need to be... but check the label.

5. gingerand((calliope))(GA)

Thanks, Donna. The vet is giving me forti flora and told me to use the pepcid with it, if I think he's uncomfortable. I hope the forti flora will be good enough for now. I'll have to order what you use and keep it on hand. That's a good idea.

Snugs has been napping with Lil' Christmas all afternoon, as is his custom, so he's probably okay. No vomiting or other loose poop. Vet said the forti flora would be like "insurance" against problems, so we'll see.

thanks so much for your help!

6. Donna and Flame

No problem Ginger... good to "talk" to you! Yep, those probiotics are good stuff!! Always have some in my bag of tricks!
    Have a good trip and hope Snugs feels better!

7. gingerand((calliope))(GA)

Good to talk to you, too, Donna!

Thanks again. I need to refill my bag of tricks!

8. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

hey donna - mentioning this makes me remember that I need to order some, do you need any and we can split the $5 shipping fee?

Ginger - sorry to hear about your little one not feeling well. I hope this helps. by any chance is he allergic to amoxicilin? if he is then you don't want to use clavamox as it's in there. Just thought I'd mention it.

9. Jean and Charcoal

Jean and Charcoal Well-Known Member

While you guys are on this subject of Jarrow PetDophilus stuff, is that the same as the Forti Flora?

One other question: I have Forti Flora that is two years past expiration date unopened. Is that safe to give to encourage my Woodee boy (post cancer victim) to eat wet food? My vet said it didn't matter about the expiration dates, but I wondered if any of you here use this stuff after it expires?

Thanks!

Jean and Charcoal (GA)

10. gingerand((calliope))(GA)

I don't know if Snugs is allergic to anything. This is the first time he's ever had to take clavamox, but he didn't do well on the first dose. He was feeling puny for over a day and there was a noticeable difference in his behavior within an hour of the first dose. I gave the pepcid ac. He wouldn't eat the food with the forti flora. In fact, none of the cats would. The bowl stayed full all day long.

Since I was going out of town, I told the person checking on the kitties to give just the pepcid and skip the clavamox. I'm going to call the vet on Monday because Snugs wasn't eating while he was feeling puny. Today, he's finally totally back to his normal self. I was going to give the clavamox again since he's had the pepcid to see if that made a difference, but I've decided not to do that.

Hopefully, the vet will have another option.

Thanks to everyone for the help. I may be back, though, with more questions. This is my first experience, even with all the kitties I've had over the years, with a bladder infection. Snugs really doesn't act like he doesn't feel well, at all. He's eating and prancing about, watching the birds and squirrels at the feeders and annoying Fat Lucy when he gets the chance. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.