Clavomox vs Baytril for UTI'S or BLADDER INFECTIONS

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sashasmom, Jan 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sashasmom

Sashasmom Member

Does anyone have any experience using either of these antibiotics for bladder/uti's? Sasha has been making frequent trips to the litterbox, and only a very little amount of urine comes out. I took her to the vet today and he was unable to get a urine specimen as her bladder was empty. (she goes in her cage on the way over she is so stressed!)

He prescribed Baytril, 22.7 mg tablets - two pills, once a day.

I don't believe she ever took this one before, but has taken clavomox for uti in the past. He said Baytril was stronger and worked better and would be his first choice, however he would give me clavamox if i wanted it. He said if it were his cat, he would use the Baytril.

Can anyone offer some advice. I have read some very scary side effects about Baytril.

I believe she needs an AB as she is having symptoms, just wasn't sure which one.

Thanks!

2. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: Clavomox vs Baytril

Awww, poor girl!!! I can't help you except to echo that I've heard some scary stuff about Baytril, and a couple vets have told me they only prescribe it if other ABs don't work.

My suggestion though is that you edit your title and mention UTIs. A lot of people have experience with those and can give you good advice. If they don't have an opinion on Clavamox or Baytril they might not read the post, although they may actually know a lot about ABs and UTIs. Just a thought. :)

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Re: Clavomox vs Baytril

From the info provided it is not lear if there is a UTI. Cystitis (inflammation of the bladder) is very common and typically has symptoms of frequent urination of very little urine. Frequently there is also red blood cells in the urine also.

The dose of 22. mg Baytril bid seems high unless you cat weight maybe 20 pounds. My Bailey was on 1/2 of the 22.7 mg tab bid. High doses of Baytril can lead to blindness. Usually Baytril is reserved for difficult cases.

4. Sashasmom

Sashasmom Member

Re: Clavamox vs Baytril for UTI'S or BLADDER INFECTIONS

thanks for the suggestion Joanna to change the heading.

thanks for the info Larry. Your cat took one tablet twice a day? My vet prescribed two pills, once a day. Sasha weighs about 17 lbs. I am not sure what to do, as the stuff i read is scary. I could go back tomorrow and ask for clavamox.

5. Larry and Kitties

My Bailey took 1/2 tablet twice daily. for total of 22.7 mg daily. Per the manufacturer, the dosing is:

Cats: Administer orally at 5 mg/kg (2.27 mg/lb) of body weight. The dose for dogs and cats may be administered either as a single daily dose or divided into two (2) equal daily doses administered at twelve (12) hour intervals. The dose should be continued for at least 2-3 days beyond cessation of clinical signs, to a maximum of 30 days.
    Weight of Cat
    Once Daily Dosing Chart (5 mg/kg/day)
    5 lb (2.27 kg) 1/2x22.7 mg tablet
    10 lb (4.5 kg) 1x22.7 mg tablet
    15 lb (6.8 kg) 1 and 1/2x22.7 mg tablets or 1/2x68 mg tablet

6. Sherri & Stash (GA)

Sherri & Stash (GA) Member

Stash is currently on Baytril for a bladder infection and mouth issues. He's on 22.7mg sid; he weighs 9.5 lbs so that dose is right according to Larry's formula (if I'M doing my math correctly!).

We've used Baytril before with no side effects.

Don't know if you have issues with pilling, but we learned a trick with Temptations. I put the pill on the table, then crumble a couple of temptations on top. Stash scarfs it up.

7. Sashasmom

Sashasmom Member

thanks Sherri. that's great how you get Stash to eat it. i don't feed Sasha temptations, but i may try mixing it with some LC friskies as she might enjoy that. the pill seems big. do you crush it up or Stash just takes it whole?

Thanks!

8. Sherri & Stash (GA)

Sherri & Stash (GA) Member

Mr. Piggy eats it whole. As a matter of fact, this morning I tried tricking him. The Temptations bag was out, I put the pill on the table and just left it. He picked it up a couple of times, but did not swallow - so then I added the Temptations and he thought it was all the same.

But, the pills are scored, so it would probably be easy to spread it out.

9. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

A VERY strong "ditto" to this.

A MUCH better plan would have been for your vet to give your cat a dose of sub Q fluids and then put him/her into a cage without a litter box and then in an hour or two, make a proper diagnosis with a culture and sensitivity.

The rampant abuse of antibiotics - for what so often ends up being sterile cystitis - just gets so frustrating. That issue and the fact that so many clients just end up chasing their tail...spending a lot of money...and subjecting their cats to needless - and not uncommonly harmful - meds.....when an infection is *assumed* to be present AND *assumed* to be susceptible to the AB in question.

10. occi's mama

occi's mama New Member

I will NEVER use baytril on my baby again! My baby is an occi cat about 10Ibs and 4 years old. It was prescribed for his uti and he experienced altered vision, depression, drooling, sneezing and vomiting. I thought I was gonna loose by fur child, he refused to eat or drink for two days! We are going to try clavamox, this is his first time ever being sick, I pray clavamox doesn't hurt him

11. Larry and Kitties

I, really my cats, prefer Baytril since it seems to upset the GI tract less. FOr most infections both are satisfactory

12. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

It is possible to get Baytril as a subcutaneous injection, if the taste causes pronounced drooling.

13. occi's mama

occi's mama New Member

It wasn't the taste, It was the medication in his system that caused his effects.

14. underdawg

underdawg Member

Wow! I have not heard about issues with Baytril. My Himalayan died in 2003. She was over 19 and had UTIs a lot until I determined that fish cat for and stress were triggers for her problem. She probably had Baytril most of the times when she got a prescription.

15. underdawg

underdawg Member

One of my civies has frequent UTIs and stones now. I put plastic bathroom cups along the edge of the litter box where he usually goes. He rings the cups very well. The good thing is that he does not cover it up so I am able to take the sample to the vet as a free catch. With my Himalayan, I would put plastic wrap in top of the litter. When she would go to the bathroom, I would use an eyedropper to get it off the plastic wrap. This worked with her but not my current cats who think the litter box is "out of order" when I tried the plastic wrap. So I was happy to find that the plastic cups work well with my current cat. Not so much with my others. I have to try to put a cup under them when they go. They aren't too happy with this intrusion but I am sometimes successful. I have tried so many methods but only had success with a very few.

16. underdawg

underdawg Member

My vet gives my civie Clavamox. He takes one pill twice a day for three weeks since he has chronic issues. Usually he only lasts about 6 weeks before he has another problem. Recently he was off the mess for 3 months before having to get another prescription. It was a record I think. He had PU surgery and licks a lot thus the frequent UTIs. I used Friskies Hairball Control treats that are moist enough to wrap a pill in. No problem! I tried pill pockets etc. the Hairball Control is so easy but now they are hard to find.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.