Clicking/popping joints

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by arozeboom, Oct 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arozeboom

arozeboom Well-Known Member

I've noticed recently that sometimes when Ruby walks, there is an occasional clicking noise. Kind of like when you get up to walk and one of your joints click/pop/creak.

I've starting giving her methyl B12, mostly because I have it in the house, but is there anything else I could add to help her? She doesn't seem to be in pain or even notice it. No limping or anything either.

She's also newly diagnosed with "mild renal insufficiency" so I need to keep that in mind when I give her anything.

She's doing great OTJ. The other night when I tested her she was 113 on her Alpha/ 84 on the Relion. :D

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Usually for joint issues glucosamine, chondrotin, MSM combo is a good idea. Cat varieties include cosequin or dasequin. In treat formula, I've used Pet Naturals of Vermont hip and joint (while not diabetic friendly) one or two a day may not affect BG's and has all three ingredients.

There is also Catswell, happy hips I think - doesn't have MSM.

This is a long term solution, so needs to be given consistently as it builds up in the joints.

3. arozeboom

Glucosamine Hydrochloride isn't the same as glucose, correct?

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

They are very different

5. arozeboom

I assumed as much, but its always good to make sure! :D

6. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

Is she limping? Walking stiffly? It could be the arthritis, particularly if she is old, but it could also be the tendon "snapping" as it moves over the joint.

We were concerned because Emme was limping occasionally, though it didn't slow her down at all and seemed to cause her no pain. My vet manipulated her leg and noticed a popping or snapping noise. It winds up that because Emme is knock-kneed, the tendon over her knee will sometimes get out of place, resulting in the noise (and the slight limp) as she walks. She will stretch the leg way out on her own and it seems to snap back into place.

7. arozeboom

No limping, no stiffness, just the occasional pop. I tried moving her legs and paws and couldn't recreate the noise but it does happen when she walks. She still runs up and down the stairs and plays like crazy. I'm just thinking if this is an early sign of arthritis or something similar, and I could give her some supplements that might help keep it from getting worse.

8. Maggies Mom Debby

Boy, that sounds like she's "cracking her knuckles"! (That used to drive my mother nuts when I did that as a kid..)

9. arozeboom

That's exactly what it sounds like. Or if you've been sitting in one position for too long and when you stand, your knee makes that popping noise. Its like that only very quiet.

10. Maggies Mom Debby

Cosequin won't hurt, even if it isn't arthritis, but it can be expensive. Only you (and your vet at her next visit) can decide if she really will benefit as she isn't limping or have other indications of pain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.