? Cliff low BG # at +6

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MiCo, Dec 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MiCo

MiCo Member

gave Cliff 4.75u Prozinc for pm shot
    PMPS=404

+6 I got 56
    Retested and got 62. One more time with largeR blood sample and got 69.

Not exhibiting any symptoms, that I could see. He was in another room before I came down to feed them.

Gave 5 temptations treats and 1/2 5oz can gravy.

What else? This is my first low # episode. I will retest in 15 min.
    Appetite is large. Do I feed more now, or wAit? Karo?

@Kris & Teasel @Rachel

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

What kind of meter are you using?

3. MiCo

MiCo Member

At2, at2strips too

Are these #s low?

4. MrWorfMen's Mom

You did the right thing. Deep breathes! Cliff will be fine Michele! We've got your back!

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. MiCo

MiCo Member

Retesting in 2 min

6. MrWorfMen's Mom

The reading of 69 is fine. 68 is your warning that you need to intervene so you did exactly what you needed to do when you got the 56. Good job!

MiCo and Critter Mom like this.
  7. MiCo

MiCo Member

Just tested again after 15min:
    BG=104

Next steps? Keep monitoring for next several hours?
    Do I go back to regular foods/treats, or keep feeding from hypo kit?

Thank you @MrWorfMen's Mom for answering my call! Taking 911 off now.

Critter Mom likes this.
  8. MrWorfMen's Mom

Great no issue with 104. You are doing fine. Going to type another message.

MiCo likes this.
  9. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Just getting back to my computer now, Michele. I'm glad Linda was around.

MiCo likes this.
  10. MrWorfMen's Mom

Ok here's the drill. You want to make sure his BG is holding or rising so don't feed anymore right now. You gave him gravy with is great but next time you can just give him about 1 tsp of LC food and retest in 20 minutes. The gravy is HC which explains the quick rise in BG and after that he's not likely to go back down too low given where you are in the cycle. That said, you need to re-test him in 30 minutes and make sure. If he is holding or rising, retest in an hour. Once you have 3 readings in safe numbers, you can totally relax.

MiCo likes this.
  11. MrWorfMen's Mom

Michele, I am impressed. That first low BG is a terrifying experience. You handled it like a pro! :)You retested when you got the low number and acted quickly to keep Cliff from going too low. Kudos! :bighug:

It's likely he is going to bounce and his AMPS tomorrow may be higher than usual. This is normal because he's not used to his BG going that low. Higher numbers may persist for up to 3 days (6 cycles). I'm not as well versed on ProZinc as others so I would suggest you post in the AM for dosing suggestions but I would be inclined to reduce back to 4.5u given that low tonight. Looks like he might have already been bouncing today from those blues he got last night.

MiCo likes this.
  12. MiCo

MiCo Member

Thank you. Good to know next time I can do LC food to start. I panicked and broke out the kit--which i honestly just assembled today! What drama. I'm gonna keep an eye on him. We're hanging out now. Just seems a little sleepy.

13. MiCo

MiCo Member

Me too (Glad Linda answered the call!) But thank you for swooping in too!!

14. MrWorfMen's Mom

No worries about the panic Michele! You did far better than me. I pulled out the karo, rubbed it on my girl's gums and fed her Temptations laced in karo too! And paced around my coffee table (I can still envision the whole episode) waiting to do the next test. Thank goodness for the Hypo kits and as long as you get their numbers back up, that's what counts! :bighug:

MiCo likes this.
  15. MiCo

MiCo Member

Thanks again for your help and this addtl feedback. I hope you all realize the power of your encouraging words! Also, your knowledge is powerful! I'm just trying to soak it all in. Thanks for notes on what i may expect to see in coming days. So helpful. Sending virtual hugs and high fives!!

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  16. Kris & Teasel

I know you'll be worried about how to dose because you're leaving tomorrow. The low this evening will leave him insulin sensitive and/or bouncy. It might be wise to lower the dose to 4 or 4.25 u for more peace of mind. You'll only be gone a few days and you can raise it again slowly when you get back.

MiCo and MrWorfMen's Mom like this.
  17. MrWorfMen's Mom

Oh I didn't know about your absence. So glad Kris chimed in. Much better plan than mine! :)

MiCo likes this.
  18. MiCo

MiCo Member

30min test=232. Whew.

Thanks, @Kris & Teasel, for the dosing suggestion for tomorrow /this weekend. I have to process this event and see how i feel abt traveling. I almost didn't test just now, cuz his #s were so high all day... but i was curious so i tested before feeding them before i was abt to go to bed! &i was shocked to see that #!! Test strips were flying. Treats and food everywhere. Just cleaned up and coming down from it all now.

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  19. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hear, hear!

Great job, Michele! :)

Mogs

MiCo likes this.
  20. Kris & Teasel

You did a great job! Another baptism by fire ... too many of these the last couple of days. :confused:

Critter Mom and MiCo like this.
  21. MiCo

MiCo Member

Must be the moon, or the holiday. (((Sending out positive vibes to all kitties and kitty parents to be healthy and well and no more emergencies.)))

FYI-the thread/list of members who will be around to help at the holidays is great! I started writing down names to tag, but I got such a quick response To this post that I didn't need to keep shouting for help! :) once I am a more experienced member, I hope to contribute more to the community and help out over the holidays too!! I will always remember this night!!

22. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Sorry Michele! I was fast asleep when you posted this...so glad Linda was around!

MiCo likes this.
  23. MrWorfMen's Mom

More kudos to you Michele for catching that dip and dealing with it so well! I think there must be something in the water these days. So many kitties are throwing curve balls! :cat::cat:

Critter Mom and MiCo like this.
  24. MiCo

MiCo Member

No worries! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.