? Coda- some advice about first few days of insulin?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Coda (GA), Feb 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coda (GA)

Coda (GA) Member

Coda has started Vetsulin 2 times a day and he's supposed to get .5u for a few days before increasing. I have his numbers on the spread sheet (both before insulin and past few days)
    Are these numbers "normal" for the first few days at low dose? Did anyone else, whether on Vetsulin or another insulin, have anything similar?
    I think his numbers are dropping a little quickly (within 3 hours) and then going back up and staying up but then again it hasn't been many days and haven't taken too many BG yet.
    Should I go ahead and increase it?
    In the next few days, is there anything I should be looking for that may suggest the insulin not working well enough?
    Thank you!

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

A bit of wonkiness when you start insulin is common. You've already had blue and a nice green. I would NOT recommend increasing the dose. You don't have enough data on this dose yet. Vetsulin can hit hard and fast so that you get a fairly low BG early in the cycle. Numbers can then go higher quite quickly either because the insulin isn't lasting long enough (often only 8 to 10 hours with Vetsulin) or there's rebound from the rapid drop earlier in the cycle.

Aim for some mid cycle tests in the +2 to +7 range in addition to the pre shot tests. You need more info on when the insulin starts to take effect (its onset), when BG drops lowest (nadir) and how long the dose lasts (duration).

Coda (GA) likes this.
  3. Coda (GA)

Coda (GA) Member

Thank you! With Coda dropping so low so early I need to see how long that lasts for him through out the 12 hours:nailbiting: I don't want him going through such rapid change, especially if he only has a few hours of "healthy" numbers before going back up again. I'll definitely test more to see where the nadir is and how long it lasts.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.