Cody 5/19 AMPS 229

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Nancy and Cody, May 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

So we have finally broken into seeing blue on a more regular basis- hurray, less panicky liver and bouncing when it happens. Its been a long slow process but he had a longgg time (2 1/2 yrs) to get used to 300's as "his baseline" so I'm pleased. and amazingly his kidney values, bowel function and QOL are pretty good. The dip into green makes me think I'm going to hold the ballpark of the current dose awhile (tumor dictating of course).

Its pretty interesting if you study the ss -how obvious the aspirin dose lasting in his system for 2+ days is. Aspirin is dangerous because its easy to od because it takes cats 3 days to metabolize/excrete it apparently. I give it at night on "day 3", and its enteric coated so it takes about 12 hrs to kick in = the next mid morning the numbers drop, and then gradually over 2 days rise overall, (with the his average prozinc cycle is +2 onset,~ +11 duration). The far right column are the aspirin dose nights ('asa' in light green)

Same thing happens with bupe which vet had me try on day 3, but I just don't like the big glassy eyes.

I'm thinking of increasing the dose on day 3 to adjust for the expected fluctuations, or trying gabapentin if the vet will prescribe it, or switching to lev (again vet approval). I have so much data now and am so comfortable with what to expect from the Prozinc that it would be hard to switch over, however cost is another consideration. Prozinc is $84 /vial but being a u40 it only lasts us 2 weeks.
    (and I just switched my DD to a $630/month seizure med -yes out of pocket) Any ideas about how dosing would work if I switched? :?:

On 14 units bid Prozinc = $2314/yr
    on 14 units bid levemir = $1150/yr ($111/vial @ Sams)

2. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

KB uses Lantus, so I'm no help with your dosing questions... but congratulations on getting Cody's numbers down. You do a great job balancing everything.

Attached Files:

3. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

First, congrats on the blues! It's a great feeling when you start to see better numbers after so long.
    If you want to change, I would post in LL because more people are there and you may well hear from others who have switched from your current insulin over to Lev.

I switched from Caninsulin to Lantus and finally to Lev for Shadoe, and Lantus to Lev with Oliver, so I can't say anything to you about the switch.
    When I switched from Caninsulin to Lantus, we were only at 4u and did start back down at 1u Lantus but I did not have Shadoe's acro dx back then.
    We are currently at 14u Lev for Oliver and 7u Lev for Shadoe.

If you want to stick with this post here in HD, maybe edit your subj to add "change Prozinc to Lev?"

It will catch more eyes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.