Cole' Vet Said Too Fat to Hypo?!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by beene5052, Oct 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beene5052

beene5052 Member

Another thing Cole's vet said that he would not hypo at 154 PmPS at 2 units! He was at 50BG +2 last night after 1 unit! PMPS was at 164 BG.

She said Cole @ 20lbs would not hypo. Have you heard of this?

Thanks to The Vet, Red and others were up until 11:30 getting his numbers out of dangerous range. He was 50, 78 and 98 +2, and every 20 minutes with the whole hypo thing until 12:00 last night!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  2. beene5052

beene5052 Member

Thank you again Red and Wendy for your help last night! I can't say it enough! We
    REALLY appreciate it. I know Cole would have made some ER visits already if it wasn't for this forum. Now to more home testing!

Red & Rover (GA) likes this.
  3. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

I don't get your vet. Whenever you are introducing something that is not "naturally occurring" into the body...you can get non-normal body function results. And to top it off we are introducing a hormone! That is never give X get Y outcome like a dose of medication.

I just did a check up with a civvie and this is the second vet in about 2 weeks that has told me....95% vets really don't know what is happening most of the time. They have scenarios and history to give a guess, BW and xrays to help diagnose....but they really never know. And one was Jones' IM! - that told me during his ER visit...that he didn't know what happened, that Jones was working it out on his own with supportive care and he couldn't offer me any packages of brilliance. Love the honesty at least.

So my take away....yes they are there to help and do have some specialized information sometimes, but in the end....they may not more then we do.

beene5052 and Noah & me (GA) like this.
  4. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

I think you need a new vet, although Tracey has a great point about them not knowing what's what overall. But quite frankly, after a statement like that, the vet sounds like an idiot and shouldn't be anywhere near animals.

I am so thankful that Cole pulled through his episode last night. :bighug:

5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Frankly I think that what your vet said is ridiculous.

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  6. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Wait a minute, we have to control our weight (cat and human) to prevent diabetes but once you're a porker you can't go HYPO? Is that like a bank too big to fail? Ding-Dong, going shopping for a vet.

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  7. beene5052

beene5052 Member

We see a new vet Wednesday although in same Clinic. SUPPOSED to be FD expert? We will see. In the meantime before he switches to Lantus I plan to NS if in 199-200Bg range and give him 0.5 units from now until vet check. I know Too Fat? Sounded ridiculous to me too. Does anyone on this forum live in Houston and see a vet with FD experience? I will post again with new thread on this. If expert vet is in same clinic as the one we are seeing now, maybe same result.

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  8. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Now you may experience an unfortunate side effect of medicine, politics. We have a secondary vet, don't care much for his staff but he's great and has lots of toys, he can do his own bloodwork, doesn't have to send it out. Our vet is fine with that and records get transferred without foot-dragging. Some vets are so insulted that you would dare cheat on them, it's like High School all over again. This happens with people too. I was told neurologist are a tight knit bunch and patient theft (huh?) is frowned upon. Oh grow up everyone. Are you sure you just joined because you really don't have that deer in the headlights look. Keep doing what you're doing. Do you feel at home being here? Just don't use the bathroom going down to the basement, THAT'S MINE!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.