Coming off the honeymoon?

Discussion in 'Honeymooners / OTJ' started by Wendy&Tiggy(GA), Mar 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

Tiggy has been OTJ since December 23rd 2011 but I have been measuring his BG weekly since and its been varying around 70. However we adopted another cat a few months ago (a diabetic rescue) and over the last 2 weeks have seen Tiggys BG steadily increase from 85 now to 120 (since I saw the increase I have been measuring daily). I wonder if there is anything we can do to stop this trend of BG ?

And at what point do we put him back on insulin? Do we wait for clinical signs like peeing a lot or a certain level of BG? and how long do we wait at this big hBG level - i mean it could come down again if the cats start to get used to each other...

2. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

today he was 150... still going up..... I am guessing nobody can advise here??

3. Catannc

Catannc Member

Anything above 150 would be a diabetic number, but it could be stress related from the new cat I guess. I would try posting into your original insulin group and see what they recommend.

4. Sophia

Sophia Well-Known Member

When Sophia had her vet appt with blood test.. I tested 80 at home and she was 180 at the vet.. she goes wild at the vets and we are not putting her back on insulin until it is higher. Sophioa was diagnosed July 2005 I started feeding her FF and by Oct, she was diet controlled and has been doing well ever since.. however going to the vet is another story but since he is not worried I decided not to worry myself. I check her from time to time and with my meter she is alwasy under 100.

If I were you I would just keep checking and see where things go. When my Greylie started to be diabetic I was advised on this b oard not to giv e him a shot and he is under 100 for many years too.

I have read an article that said that ev ery 8th cats gets into remission/diet controlled.. I hope this is the same for you. Greylie and Sophia are now 17 with kidney problems and Sophia has hyper=t but considering their age they are still very perky.

5. akbahsMum

akbahsMum Member

Three months, hmm. How do they get on? Do you think, by watching them, that your old cat is relaxed with the newcomer yet?
    You could check for ketones using a home kit from the chemist, if puss starts going over 200 with the BG. I should think you have some time, 150 isn't too bad in the big scheme of things.
    My boy's recent visit to the vet showed me the immediate and very real effect of stress on a cat's BG. He got up to 260 before coming down, and is back down under 100 now.

6. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

He fell off completely.. And it wasn't the new cats fault after all.. See my profile but basically the new cat was allergic to chicken, so our vet recommended a different food that he told us was low carb.

It wasn't!!!! In fact it was 35% carbs or something nuts like that!!

We realized this 6months after he went back on insulin and someone on the tight protocol forum mentioned it. Then we realized Tiggy had been eating this HC food for two weeks before he came out of remission.. No coincidence. Plus i tested him a few times after a "fight" with the new cat and no change in his BG.

Anyway We are giving him low carb wellness since August and having problems even getting him regulated. I am mad at the vet and am sorry I blamed my new cat. Not so new now though and the two of them get on well now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.