Companion (Stop & Shop brand) Can Cat Food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by BudLt, Aug 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BudLt

BudLt Member

confused_cat
    I was just wondering if anybody knew the nutritional information for the stop and shop brand "Companion" canned cat food. I was wondering if maybe they were close to or similar to the values of Friskies. They always sit next to each other on the shelves and seem to copy the flavor names, so I was not sure if the store brand was copying Friskies brand as they do with other products and put on the labels "compared to brand name...".

I was just wondering if anybody knew since I could not find the answer searching through the site. Thanks!
    :YMHUG:

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Hi there

I had a similar experience with Fancy Feast up here in Canada. My local chain pet store carried a brand called Feline Cuisine, and they looked identical, even in can size to fancy feast.
    It turns out it was made by some company outside of the pet store specifically for this pet chain.

What I did is contact them directly, via email, and inquired about the ingredients etc. It took a little while to get a straight answer thou.

Have a read thru Janet & Binky's Food Chart, the write up in the main page (see below) this will help you in how to/what to ask for when dealing with the companies directly:
    Janet & Binky's Food Charts
    http://binkyspage.tripod.com/foodfaq.html

If you have "as fed" information (not so-called "guaranteed" or label values) . . .
    . . . And you'd like me to add them to the food tables, please e-mail me at binky dot cat at sbcglobal dot net. At the very least, I need "as fed" values for protein, fat, and carbohydrate. It would also be helpful to have "as fed" values for phosphorus, fiber, water, ash, and calcium, along with calorie information. I cannot use any number which is labeled "maximum" or "minimum", because it is by definition not an accurate value.

You could also try a google search for the brand, that's how I found them too.

3. BudLt

BudLt Member

:smile: ;-)
    Hi!
    Thanks for your time & the info. I am very familiar with Janet & Binky's Food Chart (LOL - I think I could recite it in my sleep), but since it wasn't one of the brands listed on the chart, I figured I would ask if anyone knew the nutritional information off hand, rather than go thru all of the work - I have the company name and information that makes the cat food for Stop & Shop:
    Manufacturer: Foodhold USA, Inc.
    Address: Landover, MD 20785
    Phone: 866-463-6738
    but like I said, I thought I would ask if anyone already knew it before I went thru the trouble - I don't even know if it would be worth it...

Thanks again for your time!!!!
    Head-butts & purrrs,
    Dawn & Booga-Boo (McBooPuff)
    drinking24

4. Pam and Layla

Pam and Layla Member

You can also just compare the ingredients on the label side-by-side with the Friskies when you are in the store. If they are similar you should be fine.

5. BudLt

BudLt Member

:? :?:
    I understand if the ingredients are similar, but wouldnt the actual content & values make more of a difference? They may have the same items listed, but couldnt the nutritional content be totally different? confused_cat Or am I WAY off on this one?? :oops:

Just wonderin... :coffee:

6. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

it could be different, and you're no way off, I understand what you mean.
    You may have a bit of a wait to see if anyone knows about this other brand.
    Keep digging thou and check back here if anything pops up.

7. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

By law ingredients must be listed in order of the greatest percentage so, after water, you want to see muscle meat and you do not want to see grains.

8. BudLt

BudLt Member

:YMHUG:
    Gia and Quirk !!!!!
    dancing_cat flip_cat
    I (we) just wanted to say Hi!! We love you guys & this site!!

9. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

Thanks for your kind words, they might even encourage me to pass by more often!

but since it wasn't one of the brands listed on the chart, I figured I would ask if anyone knew the nutritional information off hand, rather than go thru all of the work - I have the company name and information that makes the cat food for Stop & Shop:
    Manufacturer: Foodhold USA, Inc.
    Address: Landover, MD 20785
    Phone: 866-463-6738
    but like I said, I thought I would ask if anyone already knew it before I went thru the trouble - I don't even know if it would be worth it...

Getting as fed numbers for Janet to work with is always worth it, they are the information needed to update the charts and add new foods. Go for it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.