confused and concerned about Buddy's weight..

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by buddybean, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buddybean

buddybean New Member

It absolutely confuses the hell out of me why Buddy has gained weight in 3 yrs since his diagnosis and I have feed him and his brothers and sisters the best grain free food there is. He looks like a football with a little head. He gets his sugar cked regular and vetsulin. dosage per sugar ck. I read that orange cats are more prone to diabetes. True or not he is a confusing feline to figure out. I hate to see him cry when I have to prick his little ear. He is such a good boy and never moves..
    What am I doing wrong?

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Hi there

I just took a look at your previous posts.
    Looks like your feeding wet food and dry - yes?

Do you have an actual weight # for Buddy?

Please go thru these food and nutrition links, especially Dr Lisa's link on Feline Nutrition:
    viewtopic.php?f=14&t=115

A lot of nutritional information to learn - this is how many of us here learned as well.

Regarding the Vetsulin, I agree with Hillary's previous reply, you may want to discuss a different insulin with your vet.
    viewtopic.php?f=19&t=311

Some of us also use Polysporin or Neosporin for the ears.
    A little dab in between pokes, helps heal them. Also, alternating ears is helpful sometimes too.

3. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Could you give us more details about Buddy's treatment (what insulin, what dosage, how were dose changes decided, weight history)

It is pretty unusual for a diabetic to gain a lot of weight AFTER becoming diabetic. Traditional diabetics may be overweight for years before becoming diabetic, and lose weight when the diabetes starts up.

Before being diagnosed, Norton lost 2 pounds in 2 months. We started insulin, and he gained 4 pounds in 6 months - but not FAT really. Norton was like a wrestler - strong and muscular but with a firm potbelly. We discovered that he had a tumor on his pituitary gland that made it pump out excess growth hormone. The tumor also caused his diabetes because the excess growth hormone interferes with the normally produced insulin from his pancreas. The condition is called Acromegaly. If you want to read more about it, go the the HIGH DOSE INSULIN SUPPORT GROUP and read the sticky posts at the top of the forum list.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.