Considering switching from Prozinc to Lantus has anyone done it?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Alexandra M, Jun 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexandra M

Alexandra M New Member

My cat has been on Prozinc for 1 month 1.5 units twice daily blood glucose numbers are very inconsistent, considering switching to Lantus. Has anyone switched from Prozinc to Lantus and were successful?

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hello and welcome from a fellow Canadian. We have a few people on the Lantus/Levemir forum who have made the switch. You could always post there to see if someone responds.

Are you testing your kitties blood sugar at home? It's hard to tell how the 1.5 units is dong if you are just getting tests done at the vets. Stress of the vet visit can greatly increase the numbers.

What are you feeding your kitty now? We recommend low carb canned wet or raw food. Check out the website http://www.catinfo.org/ a great site on feline nutrition. Feeding dry food can play havoc with the blood glucose numbers.

3. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Did you find that you got any drops at nadir? One month is not very long to be on insulin. If you want to share some numbers, we might be able to help. The protocol we put together for ProZinc is in blue in my signture.

4. Alexandra M

Alexandra M New Member

She is currently on Ziwipeak canned which is under 2% in carbohydrates.

On an average she is about 460 in the morning and drops to about 300 at nadir.

On a few occasions i had normal numbers in the morning and had to skip a dose and i have seen normal numbers at nadir as i said we are all over the place.

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

When you have a moment, could you add a few tidbits to your signature? It will help us give you feedback without having to go look in all your past posts.

Editing your Signature

In the upper right corner of the screen, within the dark blue bar, you will see ID, Inbox, and Alerts

Click on your ID.

On the left, under Settings, Click on Signature.
    This is where you will put information that helps us give you feedback.
    This is where you paste the link for your spreadsheet, once it is set up.
    Add any other text, such as
    your name,
    cat's name,
    date of Dx (diagnosis)
    insulin
    meter
    general location
    any other pertinent issues like if there are any food issues, history of DKA, hepatic lipidosis, pancreatitis, allergies, IBD, etc.
    Click the Save Changes button at the bottom.

Always click the Save Changes button at the bottom when you have changed anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.